Can a double-glaze man cut out wall below window to fit door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to put a long piece of glass on an existing doorway, then cut out a section of the brick wall under the existing window frame which is 6foot wide. A double-glaze chap said he could do the job for £1500. I thought that only builders can deal with masonry work.
Any advice?

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys. Might use the DG guy as he makes his own windows and doors.

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys. Might use the DG guy as he makes his own windows and doors.

Well first make sure the dG guy knows how to close a cavity and install a vertical DPC.
Just because a guy can MAKE windows/doors- dont mean he knows how to fit them properly ./
No skill in making a plastic window at all. Timber windows need a bit more skill.
Also- never yet seen a window fitter who can form a new brick opening properly . SLASHING A COUPLE OF VERTICAL LINES- in brickwork with a stillsaw is easy. Making the opening look as if it was built that way is harder.

And make sure you give it a good check over before you part with any cash. Its surprising how many people are stupid enough to fail to do so. ;)

Thanks guys!
I was hesistant about commissioning the DG man to do the job, esp when he failed to mention about being careful not to ruin the DPC or avoiding the airbricks. He gave the cheapest quote, and he was the only person to call us to tell us that we really want him to do the job! Tat too much of hard sell.
Back to the drawing board. Do you guys know of :confused: a decent builder in Yorkshire?

Have just had an oak front door and sidelights fitted, custom made and fitted by a joiner recommended by a trusted builder.
The joiners had to remove a few bricks either side of the door to make a floor level space for sidelights and also remove a concrete step which turned out to be about a foot deep of solid concrete. They used a breaker (?) to do this and consequently left a hole under the door frame and did minor damage to some bricks at the sides. was told the hole was not a problem as said trusted builder would just put some bricks under. Internally the hole was covered by a hardwood cill. When the builder came to relay paving stones outside of door, he pointed out to me that the joists of the floor were exposed under the door frame. The builder has tried to stick a damp proof membrane under door and stuffed concrete under but obviously this isn't ideal. He suggested that the joiner remove the cill and try to fill underneath from inside to make it watertight. Does this sound like a possible solution? I am way out of my depth here and worried sick!

Sponsored Links
Back