Can a woodburner be fitted in this space?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

First post so I am sorry if it's in the wrong section or I should have searched a bit more.

I have recently moved into a 1950s house that already has a woodburner in the kitchen (think it was fitted to replace a range or old style boiler), however I would love one in the living room.

There was a plastic vent fitted in the wall the opposite side of where the woodburner in fitted in the kitchen. It's back to back to the wall where I want one fitting.

Taking the vent off as you can hopefully see has revealed a hole with loads of ash and sticks in so think there is obviously a chimney going off it.

Do people think with some building work that a woodburner could be fitted in this space?

Who would be best to approach? A stove fitting company or a builder? Would they be able to advise me as to the possibility?

Cheers in advance
Rob

Sorry the photos are upside down. :oops:

Sponsored Links
I'm sure anything is possible Rob, but your wood burner needs to be surrounded completely with brick, including the sides and hearth.
If this can be provided, and a chimney lined, you are in with a chance!
John :)

I'm sure anything is possible Rob, but your wood burner needs to be surrounded completely with brick, including the sides and hearth.
If this can be provided, and a chimney lined, you are in with a chance!
John :)

Cheers for the response john.

There is loads of twigs and ash in the hole so I think there is definitely a chimney behind it. When you say chimney lined is that the metal tube you can put down?

The hole has bricks either side and at the back. Would it be a chase of smashing a load out to make a hole big enough and putting lintels or steels in for support as needed.

Would a burner fitter be able to do the whole thing or would I need a builder to do all the work?

Cheers for the help

Rob

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back