Can anyone explain how to wire this light fitting up?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm in the process of changing two pendant light fittings for two chandelier-type ones that were removed from a relative's house.

I've wired light fittings up before (with help from this forum) but I'm a bit stuck on this...

The new chandeliers have no terminal blocks on them, just a loose live, neutral and earth and another earth that's loose and touches the metal casing on the light.

I've attached some images of the wiring coming from the ceiling (still with current pendant fittings attached) and also the new lights themselves. I presume I need to use a terminal block to connect what's comming in to what's going down to the light.

Anyone got any tips? Thanks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 633
Sponsored Links
You will need to get a strip of insulated choc block and use the block to replace the pendant connections that you already have.
Remember that the earth wire (green/yellow) must be connected to the earth cables from the ceiling.

You will need to get a strip of insulated choc block and use the block to replace the pendant connections that you already have.
Remember that the earth wire (green/yellow) must be connected to the earth cables from the ceiling.

Can I just connect all the lives, neutral and earths into one side of the block and then connect the live neutral and earth into the opposite sides of the block? Or do I need to mirror the wiring as it stands now?

Sponsored Links
And I presume the loose wire inside the metal casing stays loose and just earths the light fitting itself by touching the metal on the casing?

No. You do not leave it loose.
You connect it, with the green yellow wire from the light to the green/yellow earth wires that come from the ceiling, so that all of the earths are connected together.

No. You do not leave it loose.
You connect it, with the green yellow wire from the light to the green/yellow earth wires that come from the ceiling, so that all of the earths are connected together.
Ahhh ok, is there a reason that there are two earth wires on the light itself?

Also I presume in a terminal strip wires connected on opposite sides are essentially 'connected'? But wires either side of each other aren't?

is there a reason that there are two earth wires on the light itself?
The solid green wire is an earth wire for the mounting bracket. This is likely to be a standard part that always comes with its own earth wire, to accommodate other lamp designs that are earthed via the bracket. With this particular lamp, however, there is obviously another earth point connecteed to the green-yellow, so technically you don't need to connect the solid green wire; the bracket is earthed by virtue of the fact it is screwed to the lamp. Nevertheless, if you can connect it, then do.

Also I presume in a terminal strip wires connected on opposite sides are essentially 'connected'? But wires either side of each other aren't?
Correct.

On the first photo aren't the 2 wires that go the pendant the wrong way round? I assume it would make no difference but isn't convention to have them the other way about?

D

On the first photo aren't the 2 wires that go the pendant the wrong way round? I assume it would make no difference but isn't convention to have them the other way about?

Yes they are wrong. Although in this case it won't cause any issues, it's hardly very good. I was working somewhere today, and an LED light had the polarity reversed. It really isn't difficult to match the colours, it was one cable and both the cable and the lights internal wires were in the harmonised colours. The person who did it was one of those trained for 2 weeks 'electricians'.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back