Can bonnet hip tiles be used on gable ends

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
One side of my detached house has a gable end and the other a sloping side. Can we use bonnet hip edge tiles on both sides?

Sponsored Links
I think you would struggle to fix them securely. There will be a way, it's whether you can find a roofer willing to do it.

It would be a non-standard install.

Sponsored Links
As Tony said.
I don't think you'd get any company to do it, reputable or not.

Even if you knew a way to secure them, It'd look hideous.

[Image removed]

So facing the house, I can't put them on the left side gable. Would it look odd to have them on just the right side then?

Anywhere else on the front elevation?

Last edited:
I don't understand the fascination with them.
The main roof is limited as to where they'll fit(one hip)to the right.

The gable is a no go.

On that elevation, the only places where you could fit bonnet hip tiles are on the ground floor bay window/porch roofs, and also the extreme bottom-right part of your main roof.
Nowhere else.

The three triangles on the front roof plane - are they called gables as well or are they dormers. Sorry these terms are still new to me.

If I were you I'd go to a hypnotist, get bonnets out of your head.
;)

Or have you bought 3000 off Gumtree and want to find a use for them?

Lol. The architect...sorry architectural technician mentioned in the planning app to have them on the bay window and porch. I didn't know what they were til I looked them up and was wondering why he didn't put them on the main roof until now.

On a side note, the house is/was an arts and crafts house. Aside from jokingly saying there's some hideous looking things on there already, I was also considering double crest ridge tiles.

The street scene is one of character detached houses all of different styles and periods with some having these double crest tiles.

Looking at the drawing, do you think these would fit with the style of the house?

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back