Can deck oil be removed?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Recently cleaned my deck with a pressure washer after which I used Ronseal natural oak deck oil.

I was quite happy with the colour until I got the deck extended and saw how good the natural pine colour of the new deckboards look. I have sleepers inbetween the decks and the dark colour of the sleepers really stand out next to the pine.

Is there any way I can remove the natural oak colour to make it more or less the same as the new part. I tried to the pressure washer again, but it's not taking it off - I guess it has been absorbed into the wood. Will these deck cleaner/strippers work?

Also, I was thinking of treating the new boards with Ronseal natural pine deck oil. Is that a good idea?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
the new boards will weather down within a year or so so you wont keep the colour long :rolleyes:

But at least the colour will be "natural" and I will be able to wash them with the pressure washer.

Realllllyyy need to get rid of this oak deck oil!

The oil would have sunk into the wood, so unless you want to sand back a few mm i see no way.

Like above it will all weather the same!

Sponsored Links
you would probably get very patchy results as the oil sinks in to different depths in different areas

you could try thre resosolution i had to old treatment not coming off but leading to patches.

use a fence stain, then coat with deck finnish

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back