Can I close upstairs rads before draining the system?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been working on a few rads over the last couple of weeks and so I've had to drain the Combi system several times.

I've got one more rad to do and it's downstairs.

I'm just wondering, can I just close all the rads upstairs before draining the system or doesn't it work like that because of the air pressure? What if I just bled one small rad upstairs to let air in?

I'm thinking it might make the refilling easier but maybe it's more trouble than it's worth.

Thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
Yes, you can. Putting lots of fresh water in a rad system, eg multiple refills will damage it.

Best limit drain downs and refills, get inhibitor in there.

Certainly can do it but remember to reset the lock shield valve (the one without a wheel head) to the same setting to maintain system balance. You do run a slightly bigger risk of air locks however.

I always drain the absolute minimum if working on part of a system.

This limits the amount of new oxygen brought in and retains inhibitor.

As said check how many turns to close the lockshield and only open it to the same position to retain the balance.

Tony

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back