can I DIY non-gas part of central heating?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have installed the whole central heating, cold and hot water systems in my house. A gassafe engineer hung the boiler and connected the pipes and commissioned the system.

Is this ok from a legislation point of view?

Whilst I have the gassafe certificate and boiler guarantee I do not have a benchmark logbook. is the latter a legal requirement, i.e. for selling the house. The benchmark webpage does not appears to suggest that installer membership is mandatory to carry out central heating, unlike the gassafe one.

It appears to me that most certification concerns the boiler, the thermal controls and the gas supply and not the "plumbing" side of the system.

thanks for comments.

Sponsored Links
The benchmark is (usually) found in the back of the MI installation booklet, so why the gassafe mateyboy hung it without filling this in is a mystery.

As to the water side of it - do what you want.

Not sure about the benchmark in relation to selling a house, but if you were to have a warranty claim, most manufacturers will wriggle if the benchmark is not filled in.

Sponsored Links
Technically, if your competant you could do the whole lot.

That should stir up a hornets nest :LOL:

MrGasSafe

I base this on the fact that I have been called to 4 boilers in recent months, none have had the original benchmarks filled in, all different manufacturers(Vaillant, Worcester,Broag and Baxi), each time advising customer that it is under warranty, so call the manufacturers up.
They call them up, they come out and say as not fully commissioned as per MIs, they charge for their service.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back