Can I Drill Hole Through A Wall Underneath Damp proof Membrane ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can I drill through the wall to the outside underneath the damp proof membrane ?

It will be about 6 inches below so not damaging the membrane itself. It will also be about 6 inches off the patio surface as well. I have quite a high black brick layers as you can see before the membrane layer. Not sure if this location for the hole is allowed and/or will compromise the integrity of the damp proofing. It will be a vey small hole, around 10mm angled down and will be sealed correctly with Dow sealent

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
On the face of it - yes, no problem. However, where is this hole going to, and what kind of cable is it for?

Do you intend to drill from outside to inside or from inside to outside?

When you say "membrane" do you mean DPM or a DPC?

Thanks for replying...

The hole is from the dining area at the back of the house and is for an external grade CAT 6 network cable, so similar in size to an aerial cable. I was going to drill from outside to in to avoid any damage to the external wall, Drilling at a slightly upward angle though a brick... unless teh cement course is Ok for this ?

Its a DPM as it has a black plastic sheet/membrane by the looks of it.

Why go near the DPM or thro the skirting etc. - why not go above the skirting and drill slightly down - 10mm wont spelch the brickwork if you take it easy. If you have a smaller diameter bit say 5mm or 6mm use it for a pilot hole.

Quick check for cables or pipes before you drill anything.

Sponsored Links
The DPM level is quite high and i will comfortably miss the DPM from just above the skirting on the inside. That would be my preferred route, inside to out as I can choose to go just above the skirting. I have a 5mm long masonary bit so I'll use that as a pilot and drill....carefully and slowly ....

No cables or pipes so I'm OK from that point of view. Many thanks again... I'll do it tomorrow morning and update thread (y)

A DPM will go down the side and under the floor slab, so you can't drill through it unless you are drilling through the slab too.

there's a pretty good chance that you mean the DPC, it can be made using various materials, including what looks like a narrow strip of plastic which we all seem to think your confusing with a DPM which is normally a large sheet off plastic that's under the floor slab as woody says above

Wow...great info guys....I really appreciate the clarification and I'm certainly wiser then when I started the thread (y):)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back