Can I fit a second house?

Sponsored Links
Difficult to say for certainty, looks a bit small, what area is the plot? You'd need off road parking and a garden. You'd probably have to retain two off road spaces for your property.

Difficult to say for certainty, looks a bit small, what area is the plot? You'd need off road parking and a garden. You'd probably have to retain two off road spaces for your property.

Back of a fag packet rough estimate 90 sq/m (Edit:180 sq/m was very off initially) by looking at the plans of my house. That doesnt incl area you would give as front garden though but i think there would be enough room for one car on a driveway in front.

edit: interesting point about my property car spaces. My house has a footprint of 45 Sq/m (not incl garage) just to add for further info.

Sponsored Links
Your Local Authority will publish a ‘Local Plan’ which is basically the criteria by which they determine planning applications, within it you will find the minimum floor areas for a dwelling and amenity space etc. there will no doubt be a host of other gumff your LA will use to determine such matters but that’s the one to start with.

Plymouth for example require (gross internal areas) 72m2 for a 2 bed, 82m2 for a 3-bed and 106m2 for a 4-bed, for a detached dwelling they require a minimum 100m2 of amenity space. So assuming your LA will be along similar lines its sounds like a big fat no. But maybe measure the plot accurately and find your Local Authority’s Local Plan online.

It doesn't leap out at me. The plot is probably wide enough for a house but getting it to look natural in the streetscape will be difficult. As Freddy says, check the local plan and also check the postcode - and a bit wider - on the planning website to see if anybody else has applied for similar. The main issues will be plot size/density, amenity and parking, the fact that you are on a corner (highways?) and the width/frontage of the property. It wouldn't be the first time I've looked at something thinking it won't work and ended up building a house though. Most of my successful clients are also semi nutters with no sense of what can an can't be done. I sometimes think I'd make a lot more money if I didn't know so much.

I think the reason your garage is where it is , is that if it was further to the right it would be over the front building line of the side road. Same goes for your new house.
Frank

Well this would be my first port of call http://www.stalbans.gov.uk/planning/Local Plans/StAlbans/chapter8fr.html which then directs you to this https://www.google.co.uk/url?q=http...R16sFg&usg=AFQjCNERKCJxLfF1iyRr2UMGUJPyNcjP5w but whilst it mentions amenity space it doesn't mention house areas. So that could be elsewhere or may not even be a policy, there also appears to be a new Local Plan proposed but it's unclear that that's been implemented. So I would give your planning department a ring and ask them and ask them to email you a link to all relevant policies. But as Jeds said developers are often a canny bunch and often a bit nuts and fortune f favours the brave!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back