Can I fit my own Boiler??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
please help me as i'm not quite sure of the legal issues involved. I've decided to change my existing boiler for a new worcester 30CDI convential n all the trimmings. please bare in mind that i was an NVQ2 qualified plumber for eight years or so and i packed it in a few years back (wasn't good for the knees). so i know how it all works etc. obviously i'm not CORGI registered or have any gas qualifications. What I need to know is, am i legally able to install the appliance (including flue) and pipe it up? obviously i wont be able to touch the gas supply, but if i called out an engineer to install the gas supply and benchmark the appliance would that be ok? or even, could i install the gas supply completely, but leave it open at the meter end ready for the final connection by a qualified engineer? hmmm? please could someone help with my little brain pickle

Sponsored Links
Your house, your boiler, do what you want.

I will leave the legal argument to others.

Take some advice and find yourself a corgi before fitting your boiler and get his/her advice on what they would be happy for you to do and what they are prepared to do, to allow them to certify the installation.

Legally YES

BUT, you need to prove competency if something goes wrong. (Agile is top draw on this stuff and may disagree but its how I understand it after a CORGI inspect week before last.)

Only way to prove that...be CORGI registered.

I assume you will be doing a full system cleanse before filling your new boiler with sludge.

David

Sponsored Links
This area is one that needs lots of investigation in order to sort the facts from opinions.

Corgi have a friendly helpline, you can find the number at:-
http://www.corgi-gas-safety.com/

The Gas connection, without exception requires a qualified person to connect / work on gas.

However, gas men are not plumbers / heat engineers by trade.

The Instituate of Plumbing and Heating also have a friendly helpline, this can be found at:-
http://www.iphe.org.uk/

Unvented systems definately need qualified installation. This has nothing to do with Corgi certification.

Your local Building Officier will be wanting to hear that you have contacted the correct people. This are often quite friendly too.

Your insurance company may also require, through exemption that any / all heating / plumbing upgrades need certified installation, otherwise home insurance may not be valid.

Electrics, depending upon the location / type of connection, can also need qualified installation.

Some work can be done via DIY, but you'll have to check this with the 4/5 different parties concerned:- Corgi, IPHE, Building Officer, Electrician, Plumber.

Installers will vary. Some may be happy to validate work, others may not.

You'll need paperwork signed off - so you will also need to put this in to the mix. (Warranty, Benchmark etc).

You'll also need to use the following formula to work out which route you undertake :-

Current fuel costs minus expected cost savings with new boiler multiplied by amount of years that you intend to live in the property compared against actual official quote for installation. Take the difference, divid difference by amount of people living in house divid again by amount of years you would like to live. Consider whether the value at the end is all worth it. :LOL:

Alternatively, ask British Gas to quote you for the work, then some registered fitters and be pleased at the amount of money you've managed to save!

Its really quite simple!

Your CORGI engineer must:-

Fit the mounting bracket on the wall.

Fit the flue.

Fit the entire gas supply.

Fit all the new gas pipework and commission the appliance.

ONLY IF he has done all those can he fill in the installer details on the benchmark and notify CORGI of the installlation. That covers the Building Regulations side.

We would charge £180 for that if the gas supply was up to about 6m equilavent length.

If you decided to do everything and called a CORGI later then all he could do would be to commission the appliance and fill in the Benchmark as the Commissioning Engineer. He could not notify the work so the Building Regulations aspect would not be covered.

Any CORGI engineer can issue a Landlords Gas Safety Certificate whosoever fitted the boiler. That can be risky as he will probably lose his registration if he fails to spot any serious defects.

Tony Glazier

As ar as I understand, you cannot commision a boiler you have not installed, and if you do...how do you know its been installed properly.

And...as CORGI men, should we really be considering benchmarking boilers installed by non-registered installers.

As a footnote at least CORGI have provided some figures in their latest money making idea on illecit boiler installs.

360000 appliances registered with CORGI (not just boilers - ive registered 50 hobs / cookers alone).

500000 boilers bought in the same period.

You do the maths!

David

As ar as I understand, you cannot commision a boiler you have not installed, and if you do...how do you know its been installed properly.

And...as CORGI men, should we really be considering benchmarking boilers installed by non-registered installers.

As a footnote at least CORGI have provided some figures in their latest money making idea on illecit boiler installs.

360000 appliances registered with CORGI (not just boilers - ive registered 50 hobs / cookers alone).

500000 boilers bought in the same period.

You do the maths!

David

I totally agree and never ever ever commision a boiler popped by some one else.

but hey hoe what are you going to do. CORGI is toothless and thats that

Soggy, as mentioned The Gas connection, without exception requires Corgi. Fullstop. So totally agree.

As Tony mentioned - this does not stop certain installers validating work.

I think you may have read too much in to my comment.

My comment could have been clearer.

However, I was referring to that of the boiler itself, after the install, and the fact that plumbing will also be involved (DHW and Heating). Some diy can be done here, from which plumbers / heating engineers are more relaxed about validation. Ideally, they would like to do all themselves and in the cases I've mentioned (unvented) then this requires qualified installation too.

Its really quite simple! ...... Your CORGI engineer must:-

Is nonsense!

Most of the above posts are the writers' opinions and nothing to do with law. There are no lists of what you can and cannot do.

The rules/regulations/laws distil down to just two truths:
  • Anyone who works on a gas appliance must be "competent".
    Anyone "employed" to do so must be Corgi Registered.

With very few exeptions, any ramifications, consequences or interpretations are the stuff of law courts and not for the whim of a houseowner, a Registered Gas Installer, or Corgi. None of these has authority to invent rules. Any of these interpreting the law take on the responsibility of doing so.

Blaze, your earlier post on this topic was the best I've ever read on this subject matter - I agree with you that the area is a minefield.

However, your particular statement below is not correct:

Blaze said:
Soggy, as mentioned The Gas connection, without exception requires Corgi. Fullstop. So totally agree.
A householder does not need to be CORGI registered in order to make the gas connection, as long as he is not renting out his property. He does, however, have to be competent, or he will be breaking the law.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back