Can I have my gas and electric meters moved?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
This may sound silly but does any-one know if I can get my gas and electric meters moved?
I have been on the British gas web-site and don't get anything back on my searches.
If I can have them moved does any-one know who I contact and roughly how much that kind of thing costs?

Sponsored Links
The phone number should be on the back of your bills. Won't be cheap and depending how far you want it move to.

they will charge you to move the meters AND you will have to pay an electrician and a gas fitter to move all your electrics and gas connections on the domestic side of the meter to link up to the new locations, not a cheap job I think...

For moving your gas meter you need to contact Transco. Click Here Go to Contacting Transco in the side menu, this will give you a list of services/questions follow the directions from there.

Cost in East Anglia Area for moving and recconection 2 years ago was £370 +VAT, so left it where it is.

Salem

Sponsored Links
I had my electric meter moved 18 months ago from under the stairs to the porch as part of an overall project to re-wire the house as it the original 1930s wiring and fused isolator switches!
As the supply cable was very old the elec board said they had to put in new cable and thus create a new junction just outside the front door. This meant digging up part of the driveway to gain access to the supply cable. They quoted me £750 incl. digging and making good or £300 just to connect up. So I took my shovel and started digging.
Meter was changed to a nice new slimline digital one with an isolator switch thus enabling me to completely isolate the supply which was ideal for the re-wire.
For me it was worth it as part of an overall bigger job but I suppose it depends on what your overall plan is.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back