Can i paint straight onto vinyl wallpaper

Sponsored Links
I thought that you're question was interesting so I did a quick Google search. According to this article it is entirely possible and sounds MUCH eaier than trying to remove it (http://orig.podsat.com/paint_overwallpaper ) . Once you decide what you're going to do, check out this site for your supplies: www.hardwareworld.com. I am in the midst of several DIY projects and have been able to find just about all of my supplies there @ SPECTACULAR prices. The customer service has been great too. Good luck and happy decorating!!!!:cool:

At last a question I can answer. Up until now I’ve only taken from the boards, so I’m feeling good that I can give back.

Paint away my friend. It’s easy. I’ve painted a whole house that had vinyl wallpaper (long story). I wondered about painting with PVA first for adhesion and everything. In the end I just painted it on.

Here’s some advice:

Wash the walls first. Most vinyl wallpaper has a rough texture to the surface that collects a surprising amount of dirt. This will bleed through your paint and is a devil to cover up.

Follow the paint manufacturers advice on drying times. Paint, leave four hours and apply a second coat. Putting the second coat on before the first has cured will pull more paint off than you put on.

The one note of caution is that the paint may bleed under the vinyl at the edges and de-laminate it. This never happened to me, but is still something to be cautious about.

The paper I painted was heavily patterned and two coats of Deluxe trade white covered it.

Now back to asking questions and not being able to answer them...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back