Can I panel a fire door?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi- can I get a bog-standard plain 30min fire door and put vertical pine butted and beaded pine boarding strips on it so it looks like a cottage door (about £160 bought as a firedoor everywhere I've looked)?
If so, would pinning into door ruin fire protection?
Just wondering as finances low at moment, but don't want to end up like Guy Fawkes......

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't have it would affect things much in reality, however the manufacturer may say that you have reduced the integrity and in anycase as Building Control will be signing it off it is they who will need to be consulted.

No. It will jeopardise the fire integrity of the door, and even if it doesn't it will invalidate its certification.

If the fire door is one that allows painting with appropriate paints you could do a grained paint effect in trompe-l'œil

Sponsored Links
No. It will jeopardise the fire integrity of the door, and even if it doesn't it will invalidate its certification.
Hardly, are you suggesting the millions of fire doors out there with their numerous signs screw fixed onto them with push plates and kick plates, door closers all fixed with screws into the faces of the doors are illegal then? :rolleyes:
A few panel pins holding some beading on is hardly any worse is it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back