CAN I PAPER A BATHROOM CEILING ????

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My bathroom ceiling is not 100% and I have papered other ceiling with great success. Firstly can a bathroom ceiling be papered (probably with a heavy lining paper) and secondly is there a special type of paste I should use? I dont want this dropping on my head whilst I am in the shower. If anyone else has done this your tips would be greatly appreciated.
:eek: :oops: :eek: :oops: :eek: :oops: :eek: :oops: :eek: :oops:

Sponsored Links
There is no reason why you cannot paper a bathroom ceiling but given the fact that it is prone tpo high levels of moisture, steam, condensation etc it is not always the best choice. If you are going to then I would paint it with a bathroom/kitchen grade paint which are formulated for such high humidity areas.

I agree. If the ceiling cannot be filled and sanded to an acceptable finish without lining it, consider having it skimmed, or even boarded (by you) and skimmed by a plasterer, prior to you painting it with bathroom paint.

Bathroom ceilings tend to be smaller than other rooms, so it shouldn't cost too much. (A morning's work for a plasterer?) Possibly even less than your time wallpapering it, and much more durable for a bathroom ceiling than paper. Our student tenants create so much steam despite an industrial strength extractor fan that they bring the ceiling paint off occasionally - I dread to think what they'd do to paper. You probably don't have six showers a day, I admit, but go for practical solutions!

Thank you DAZB and Bradleydecorating for your replys, both sensible answers, I just like the look of the lining paper when its painted and thought that maybe there was some sort of industrial strength paste to stick it on with.

Sponsored Links
You should be fine with standard paste such as Solvite, but, as has been said, it is vital that the paper is completely sealed with at least 2 coats of a good quality bathroom/eggshell emulsion. It would also be wise to run a bead of caulk around the edges of the ceiling before painting so that there is no risk of loose edges where condensation could work it's way behind the paper.
The only major concern I would have with papering a bathroom ceiling would be if it was likely to get constant overspray from a showerhead. (Some bathrooms have fairly low ceilings and the showerheads can be very close to them.)

Personally, I would also go with the skimming option but if you prefer paper, it should be fine.

If you do decide to paper the ceiling and caulk the edges, just bear in mind that water based paints can sometimes craze or ciss when applied over caulk. If this does occur just apply a thinned oil based undercoat before your emulsion.

Dec

I wouldn't bother. It might be fine but it might very well not.

What advantage does paper offer that makes it worth the risk of being back at square one?

What a lot of nonsense a lot of people on here are talking!! Lol!!! A case of if you’ve never done it you don’t know I guess!
You can absolutely wallpaper your bathroom ceiling and it does not have to be a paper that needs to be painted, you can do it with any wallpaper. I have embossed wood look grainy wallpaper on my bathroom ceiling which I put up 4 years ago with normal wallpaper paste. I have an extractor fan in my bathroom because there is no window, and my cieling looks as good as it did the day I put it up!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back