Can I ram loftwool into internal stud wall for soundproofing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know I've been peppering the forums with questions recently, but I've a lot to learn!! :eek: I'm building a dividing wall to create two bedrooms and wanted to know if I can use left over loftwool to help dampen the sound?

Sponsored Links
The only effective way to keep sound travel to an acceptable level in that situation is to build two separate frames, and use dense sound insulation.

I know I've been peppering the forums with questions recently, but I've a lot to learn!! :eek: I'm building a dividing wall to create two bedrooms and wanted to know if I can use left over loftwool to help dampen the sound?

Yes you can!

Sponsored Links
But if the objective is to reduce sound, you may as well use the right materials for the job, after all, you can only realistically do this job once.

Cheers for the responses people, I'll give it a bash..

"The same as they do the length of the country in new builds." I did wonder what new builds did - I noticed a lot of them have stud walls when I was house hunting.

you can get fibreglass batts which are much denser than loft insulation, so better at deadening sound.

Also take up the floorboards and pack the cavities adjacent and under/over the partition.

When rebuilding you can use thicker/heavier/more layers of plasterboard which will also help.

If you compress fibre-wool loft insulation to about half original thickness, you will have what the companies now flog as "acoustic insulation "

I found it easiest to tape/wire the roll in position and then use the plasterboard to compress it and then screw it (pb) in position.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back