Can I remove my cold water tank?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good evening everyone. I am planning to remove my old cold water tank in the loft to make access much better but also as I don't like the idea of cleaning teeth in old stale water!
My question is do I need the tank? My plan is to connect the tank inlet straight to the tank outlet, possible with something to slightly reduce the mains pressure so as not to blow my bathroom plumbing. I still have a hot water tank and open ch system with its own header tank does this need the cold water tank for any reason?? The expansion pipe for the heating already runs into the small header tank.
Many thanks james[/i]

Sponsored Links
Sort of, a small header tank In the loft for the boiler and a larger one for the cold water and a normal hot water tank in an airing cupboard

Sort of, a small header tank In the loft for the boiler and a larger one for the cold water and a normal hot water tank in an airing cupboard

So no, you don't have 3 tanks.

From what I understand.....

You can't remove your cold water tank as it supply's the cold water for your hot water tank, as well as the cold water to the taps.

Sponsored Links
Be sure to post pictures won't you. It will be a great help to others.

you cannie defy the laws of physics captain.
Don't do it
Don't even think of doing it
You obviously don't have a clue
Darwin awards will be contacting you :D

It may be possible to connect the cold supplies in the bathroom to the mains to give a fresh supply to the taps, but under no circumstances attempt to connect the hot supply to the mains. At best you'll flood the place, at worst you could create a potential bomb..... :eek:

Pressurised hot water systems have a number of safety devices incorporated, and also require a qualified installer to fit and maintain them for safety reasons :!:

Good evening everyone. I am planning to remove my old cold water tank in the loft to make access much better but also as I don't like the idea of cleaning teeth in old stale water!
My question is do I need the tank? My plan is to connect the tank inlet straight to the tank outlet, possible with something to slightly reduce the mains pressure so as not to blow my bathroom plumbing. I still have a hot water tank and open ch system with its own header tank does this need the cold water tank for any reason?? The expansion pipe for the heating already runs into the small header tank.
Many thanks james
[/i]

NO. STOP. DON'T DO IT.

I am too tired (and too recently retired from 't pub) to explain all the reasons, but draw a schematic diagram of your COMPLETE system, think pressure and the answer will be obvious.

If you really are a chippy, stick to wood butchering, leave the plumbing to the experts. What you are proposing is stupid, dangerous and illegal.

Think of the children, the dog, the wife, your neighbours.... Its not worth it son.....

Its gonna end in tears.

DH

Ok chill people lol. Thanks for all the responses it was only an idea I had yesterday while fiddling around in the loft. I shall leave the cold tank supplying the hot water til I can sort a combi boiler. Cheers again folks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back