Can I remove this cross member?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I don't know what this piece is called, but it is one of many small supports that hold a roof beam up.

It is safe to remove? (i'm talking about the small cross support with the light switch mounted on it)

I have a boiler feed and expansion tank that was put in before the loft was converted and that is now totally boxed in and inaccessible - and leaking... So I need to get to it.

If it is safe to remove this then it makes life slightly easier?

Sponsored Links
Not very easy to see from your pic but it looks to be a purlin prop - if so, not adviseable to remove it.

Thanks. There are several other similar props all along the roof line, so as long as I only remove one will it likely be OK? The alternative is to cut a big hole in my newly decorated wall to install a hatch and get to it from the other side.

It is structural so no one sensible on a forum will tell you that it is ok to remove it.

Whilst the building may not fall down if you remove it, it is there for a reason and your roof may move in the long term without it.

Sponsored Links
Thanks. You've convinced me. I'll do the job properly and cut an access hatch instead.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back