Can I save my porch?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

To be honest; the house is being done up to sell at some point in the next couple of years. I don't really have the budget to replace the entire porch.

It needs a bit of TLC but it's in decent nick, apart from the sill on the door-side being rotten at the hinge post.

The post itself seems OK after having a dig around. Is it possible to remove this cill and replace it with a new one?

Sponsored Links
Yes perfectly possible to splice in a new cill , you may find the rot has entered the post it's not uncommon but not always evident until you start chopping away and find the tenon rotted too although these often need to be cut off anyway.

Yes perfectly possible to splice in a new cill , you may find the rot has entered the post it's not uncommon but not always evident until you start chopping away and find the tenon rotted too although these often need to be cut off anyway.

Great its been one of those jobs I've put off for 2 summers but its on my radar for this year.

Would I just cut it out (and put temporary supports on place under the posts) and ask someone to cut my another one? Hopefully it might be something I can buy off the shelf.

I was planning on putting some wood hardener then anywhere that might be exposed to the rot

Decent timber yard should be able to supply a section of cill , I always like to paint it first before it goes in. You probably won't need to worry too much about support it will be held up on both sides and just removing the one section in the picture shouldn't cause a problem. If you are worried cut a piece of 4x2 to wedge under the head of the door frame or even a pair of folding wedges under the door near the hinge side.
As to the cutting out I always find cutting through the cill a few inches from the posts enables the centre section to be removed and then the remaining bits can be removed with hammer and chisel.

Sponsored Links
Turned out this was a bit of a mess. No DPC, and the rot had spread in to the frame. Ended up ripping it out and building a dwarf wall with some new upvc windows and door. Gave me a chance to move the door around to the front too!

Glad it turned out ok. I perhaps should of mentioned exactly what you did as I did just that with a very poor extension on our house shortly after moving in. Full height single glazing starting to go rotten cut about 3ft up , new cill and dg units.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back