1. We are pleased to announce the 'Home Automation' forum. Click here to get involved!

Can I use a solvent based undercoat over water based primer?

Discussion in 'Decorating and Painting' started by dazzawazza, 11 Jul 2007.

1. dazzawazza

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Yesterday I purchased some quick drying white primer and painted my second story outside windows and surrounding area. As it was quick drying I stupidly assumed that the primer was solvent based. It wasn't until I was cleaning the brushes that I realised it was water based.
    Now, the tins of under-coat and top-coat paint I have are solvent based. Can I use these or should I purchase some new water based paint?
    Painting second story windows has been a big job so I want it to last as long as possible. Thanks

2. slow fade

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    yes. :p

Just make sure you give the primed area a sandpaper down between coats to give it a key.
    I do it all the time anyways!!

3. Robbie uk

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thing to remember is that water based paints dont penetrate the timber as well so although the solvent based paint will go over it ok it is still only as good as the paint underneath. Water based undercoats tend not to want to stay on timber outside when it starts to expand and contract and could flake off.