Can I use a solvent based undercoat over water based primer?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Yesterday I purchased some quick drying white primer and painted my second story outside windows and surrounding area. As it was quick drying I stupidly assumed that the primer was solvent based. It wasn't until I was cleaning the brushes that I realised it was water based.
Now, the tins of under-coat and top-coat paint I have are solvent based. Can I use these or should I purchase some new water based paint?
Painting second story windows has been a big job so I want it to last as long as possible. Thanks

Sponsored Links
yes. :p

Just make sure you give the primed area a sandpaper down between coats to give it a key.
I do it all the time anyways!!

Thing to remember is that water based paints dont penetrate the timber as well so although the solvent based paint will go over it ok it is still only as good as the paint underneath. Water based undercoats tend not to want to stay on timber outside when it starts to expand and contract and could flake off.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back