Can I use radiator cover to hide my baxi bermuda fire???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hiya

Ive got a really old and ugly baxi bermuda fire (552 boiler). Cant afford to replace the central heating so stuck with it! Dont actually use it as my radiators give enough heat. I do get it serviced every year so its in good working order, just wondering if i can cover it with a radiator cover so there is still plenty of ventilation getting through but hiding the fire.

Any advice etc more than welocme

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
yeah had a look at them and they are not that nice and really quite expensive, just have to leave it be i suppose, thanks again

I am in the same position at the moment with an old Baxi Bermuda in the dining room of our new house. I think I'm with the majority that say they don't like the look of these things and the 'modern/contemporary' fire fronts that are available are horrible!

I'd like to have the option of replacing it with a back boiler that was totally hidden and didn't have a fire front on it. In the mean time I'd like to remove the wooden box on the front and cover it with a radiator cover or make a cover for it. I've done a bit of searching to see if this has been done before and keep seeing people give an extremely unhelpful answer NO! Can these people that object give a reason? I am going to remove the front, make a cover that covers the whole ugly guts of the thing, making sure to leave some ventilation for the back boiler.

I've done a bit of searching to see if this has been done before and keep seeing people give an extremely unhelpful answer NO!

Oh...go on then. see you in the undertakers :LOL:

Seriously though the fire front and the boiler share a flue, so you can't remove the front and leave the boiler working.

I'd like to drive round in a van with square wheels because I think that it is aesthetically pleasing... But all of the mechanics I talk to are unhelpful and say no..... Ha! they know nothing, I'll fit square wheels anyway 'cos I know better than they do.

OP, this site has quite a few reasons stating exactly why your idea won't work safely... Feel free to use the search button

I've done a bit of searching to see if this has been done before and keep seeing people give an extremely unhelpful answer NO!

For good reason. Its illegal and dangerous. The 2 appliances are designed and tested as one unit with one shared flue.

I saw this exact scenario a few months ago,some chap had polish lads renovating his property and asked them to make a rad cover for his horrible looking back boiler.

As soon as walked in and saw a rad cover in front of the fireplace i realised something was wrong ,after speaking to him and explaining how the fire and the backboiler work togther so you cant just remove the fire and make it aesthetically pleasing i capped of the boiler
The funny thing is he explained to me he had been getting headaches for quite a while and never suffered these before the renovation began,the nutter was lucky not to have killed himself and his family

I had a customer who had a wall unit covering her BBU and fire.. She argued that if she used the fire, then she always opened the cupboard doors. Lots of soot clogging the Heat exchanger as the unit and doors were quite a nice tight snug fit. Fortunately the gas valve gave up the ghost before things got terminal..

My argument is, why do home owners think that they know better than a professional? A simple "No, you cannot do that" should suffice

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back