Can I use this to join SWA that's not buried?

Sponsored Links
Hi - I want to join two SWA cables and was wondering if I can use this: http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Ele...Cable+Connector+IP67+Black/d190/sd2659/p96672 The cable will NOT be buried - will be clipped along wall and fence and be visible.
Not really - there would be no sensible/satisfactory way of terminating SWA into that or of joining the armour. Your best bet is probably a suitable IP-rated box with two SWA glands and a connector block.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Hi - I want to join two SWA cables and was wondering if I can use this: http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Ele...Cable+Connector+IP67+Black/d190/sd2659/p96672 The cable will NOT be buried - will be clipped along wall and fence and be visible.
Not really - there would be no sensible/satisfactory way of terminating SWA into that or of joining the armour. Your best bet is probably a suitable IP-rated box with two SWA glands and a connector block.

Kind Regards, John

Thanks! I see now that the SWA armour would be broken and as a result my cable would not be earthed.

The cable will NOT be buried - will be clipped along wall and fence and be visible.
Clipping cables to fences is generally regarded as not compliant with the regulations.

OK...

I don't want to bury the cable. I'd prefer it exposed, above ground. What would the solution be?

I consider my fence posts quite permanent and am happy that panels or even the posts falling over (?!) won't cause problems as the cable has enough slack and is very strongly secured prior to termination.

Clipping cables to fences is generally regarded as not compliant with the regulations.
OK... I don't want to bury the cable. I'd prefer it exposed, above ground. What would the solution be? ... I consider my fence posts quite permanent and am happy that panels or even the posts falling over (?!) won't cause problems as the cable has enough slack and is very strongly secured prior to termination.
I think it's essentially a judgement call. To the best of my knowledge, the regs say nothing explicitly about clipping to fences. They say a lot about taking steps to minimise the risk of mechanical damage or stresses on the terminations, but leave the designer/installer to interpret that. In all but the most potentially traumatic of environments, to have SWA clipped to a wall would generally be regarded as acceptable - so it's really for you to decide how stable the fence/posts are and what would be the consequences of 'collapse'. From what you say, it sounds as if you are probably fairly confident that neither cable nor its terminations would be at appreciable risk if the fence collapsed.

Kind Regards, John

OK... I don't want to bury the cable. I'd prefer it exposed, above ground. What would the solution be? ... I consider my fence posts quite permanent and am happy that panels or even the posts falling over (?!) won't cause problems as the cable has enough slack and is very strongly secured prior to termination.
I think it's essentially a judgement call. To the best of my knowledge, the regs say nothing explicitly about clipping to fences. They say a lot about taking steps to minimise the risk of mechanical damage or stresses on the terminations, but leave the designer/installer to interpret that. In all but the most potentially traumatic of environments, to have SWA clipped to a wall would generally be regarded as acceptable - so it's really for you to decide how stable the fence/posts are and what would be the consequences of 'collapse'. From what you say, it sounds as if you are probably fairly confident that neither cable nor its terminations would be at appreciable risk if the fence collapsed.

Kind Regards, John

Thanks John. Your advice has been most appreciated.

Ps.I did a quick search online and found these that come with an earth continuity kit - http://quickbit.co.uk/swa-cable-joints/swa-cable-joints-1.5mm-6mm

Yes.
Those are meant to be buried and are a very permanent junction as the whole thing is filled with resin.

I consider my fence posts quite permanent and am happy that panels or even the posts falling over (?!) won't cause problems as the cable has enough slack and is very strongly secured prior to termination.
Well, as John said, it's your decision.

You are the designer, installer and tester. If, having exercised reasonable skill and care when putting the cables in, they will not, to the best of your knowledge and belief, be damaged if the fence gets damaged or if it just moves a bit back and forth in the wind over the years, as fences can do, then you'll be fine.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back