can I use wall repair tape to fix hairline crack?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
My house is from 1930s and I am thinking of selling it.

As it is a quite old house, there are some hairline cracks on the wall. I asked around and apparently for old houses like this, it is normal to have some movements and as a result, hairline crack will show up.

I found this Wall Repair Tape from screwfix (http://www.screwfix.com/p/wall-repair-tape-white-50mm-x-25m/78232). This seems to be a really easy way to patch the hairlines (as the hairlines are not getting larger).

Am wondering can I just put the tape there and then paint, or I need to apply some adhesive compound and then paint?

many thanks

Sponsored Links
You can't just paint straight over that and expect it to look 'invisible'. You would need to feather the edges out with some filler to get it to a decent standard. Even then, if you paint over it with any finish that has a slight sheen to it you will still see where you've put it.
Personally I would fill the cracks, sand smooth and hang lining paper to affected walls.

Sponsored Links
I generally just dig out the crack, apply with filler (leading a bit proud), then sand flush once fully dry. Once the wall is painted, it should be invisible.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back