can someone explain this 2 way wiring to me please?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
New build house, 2 way wiring in the lounge (into 2 ceiling fittings if that's relevant)..

In each light switch I find:

N loop - 3 blue wires
Com - 2 brown wires
L1 - one brown wire
L2 - zero wires

I think this is a setup where the n loop is in the switch rather than the rose, which I do understand but I dont fully understand how it achieves 2 way switching when l2 is never used?

I was hoping to fit a dimmer to one of them but my dimmer has just common, l1 and l2 and I'm not sure how to integrate it..

Sponsored Links
Ya know what, this post can be ignored.. I didn't actually check before I turned the power off that the 2 way ness actually worked.. It doesn't. Both switches turn the lights on but if either switch is on, the light is on.. It's not a 2 way switch system.. Its 2 one ways in parallel. Gah. Pointless.

So i need a connector strip block to fit my dimmer it seems, loop the n at the switch and connect the dimmer up as a 1 way, blank off the other useless switch

There are RF two way systems which can include a dimmer built in.

In the main the using of the switch back box rather than ceiling rose is done where MR16 down lighters are used. With any quartz halogen lamp although you can dim them it reduces bulb life.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back