Can someone explain this for me ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
http://www.jacktroop.co.uk/corgistuff/installer articles/128-Testing and purging.pdf

I am having trouble with what the difference is between the iv 0.035m/3 and iv 0.02m/3.

In example 1 with U6 meter the the volume is less than 0.035 so within scope of the Doc and purged as ige/up/1b

In example 2 with U16 meter the volume is more than 0.035 so purged to
ige/up/1a.

I'm not understanding the Sum up on page 44 and where this "0.02" fits in, can someone explain in blue collar details ? thanks.

Sponsored Links
Top right of page 2;
The procedure for purging an installation having an IV of less than 0.02 m^3 has not changed (purging through an unlit burner)....

U16 meter has an IV of 0.025 m^3, so that procedure cannot be applied.

So what is the 0.035m/3 cut off ?

It is the maximum IV for an installation for which the purging procedure described in that document can be used. Above that, you need commercial accreditation and a different purging procedure would be used.

Example 1 is less than 0.035 m^3, so one specified purging procedure is used. Example 2 is more than 0.035 m^3, so a different procedure is used.

The procedure for domestic installations of less than 0.02 m^3 hasn't changed.

Sponsored Links
:) Thanks got that bit now, still a bit confused on the "sum up" where it says "provides Domestic gas installers with a procedure for testing and purging a gas installation that included a meter passing 16m3/h and 35mm pipework" 0.020 - 0.035 =0.01 that only leaves pipework with an iv of 0.01 of pipe volume, it would be a small size and run of pipe, in which case a small appliance in which case I wouldn't need a U16 meter, I don't see the point in the first part of the "sum up" !

:) "provides Domestic gas installers with a procedure for testing and purging a gas installation that included a meter passing 16m3/h and 35mm pipework" !

That's the point of IGE/UP/1B document, they have had to increase the pipe size and IV of installations that domestic installers can tackle, due to the use of high-output combis.

I need to look up the details of the commercial IGE/UP/1A tests and a duff PC won't let me.

So which combi on what pipe size can I as a domestic installer fit onto a U16 meter with only 0.01 of pipe volume left to play with ? forgetting the cooker and gas fire for now !

So which combi on what pipe size can I as a domestic installer fit onto a U16 meter with only 0.01 of pipe volume left to play with ? forgetting the cooker and gas fire for now !

I'd think about that when you find one. Have you ever come across a U16 meter before? 0.01 m^3 is equivalent to about 18m of 35mm tube, so it is possible. The meter could supply up to 172kW.

Maybe on a modular boiler installation where a bank of small boilers are used, instead of one or two large boilers. The intention is to split up a large load and also to avoid using more expensive commercial boilers.
(PS Edit to add, read this;
http://www.jacktroop.co.uk/corgistu...1 Modular Boiler Installations (Current).pdf)

The bit of the purging PDF that caught my attention was "In this case the purge process is via an open burner in order that a continuous effort is made to ignite the air/gas mixture whilst purging." (RH column, page 43)

Isn't that a typing error? Surely you'd want to avoid igniting the gas/air mixture since it could be explosive? I thought the whole point of purging was to purge the air out of the gas pipe and fittings.

I need to check up on this.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back