Can these doors be painted?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hiya guys, our home is filled with 8 of these cheapy doors, on pricing up new doors it's a fair bit of money and we can't afford to replace them all for a long time.

Someone suggested spray painting them white, but wanted to ask people with more knowledge on if this would work or not? It would obviously need to be some really durable paint, but is it possible to do? and what paint would you recommend? Spray paint was suggested to avoid brush or roller marks.

ObkMNSl.jpg

Sponsored Links
They look like sappele (probably spelled wrong) to me and I reckon you could simply gloss them. Try googling it and see if anyone has has success.

Edit... They would need some prep work, not just a coat of gloss as I infer above.

I have some of these doors and I cant wait to get rid of them. I was going to paint them but decided they could be a real pain and alot of time and I would rather save the money and get nicer doors then have to paint these. Would rather buy 2nd hand doors and sand / paint them than these type of doors. Because in my eyes i dont know how you can make these doors like nice. Personal taste of course!

Anything can be painted with the right preparation. A good sand down, a coat of Zinsser 123, undercoat and gloss. Gloss will chip off easily if the door is not prepped properly.

Sponsored Links
Robbie is bang on, its all about putting the right primer on, i would use 123 as well, you could also use coverstain or bin - both harder to use. They're not sapele ! they're normally cheap and nasty cardboard doors that soak up the light and make any room look dingy, loads of houses round my way have them.

I agree with the primer but I've had good results with Bedec undercoat and satin finish put on with a foam roller - fast and left alone - I had to get my speed up but was worth it.

Agree with mattatooi. I am struggling to understand why on earth you would want to paint such nasty doors, unless you are going for a boring, '1970s retirement bungalow' effect. For the cost of the materials and labour, you could buy new pannelled doors (which would come already prepped, just need top coats), or (if lucky) second hand ones to restore. If they were in a house I owned, they'd be taken down to the recycling centre.

I used Farrow and Ball external water-based matt paint on my door. The paint has survived really well and any new paint seems to blend in perfectly. Use a good quality paint like Little Greene or Trade paint from Dulux Decorator Centers is also another option. It looks so beautiful...:)

I used Farrow and Ball external water-based matt paint on my door. The paint has survived really well and any new paint seems to blend in perfectly. Use a good quality paint like Little Greene or Trade paint from Dulux Decorator Centers is also another option. It looks so beautiful...:)
i think you mean eggshell.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back