Can you owned a car regardless of age?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My youngest son is 16 yrs old and want to buy a old Mini for restoration in a garage, The question is, can his name be on the V5 log book even though he's is underage to drive on the road? I can't find the information anywhere. The way I see it, anyone can owned a car regardless of age as long as you're 17 or over to drive it on the road???

Sponsored Links
I recall the kid who past his test on his 17th birthday, he had been practising on an airfield. but i dont know if he owned the car, why not ask the dvla?

but then again when retored, guess who will want to test it? (unless you have an airfield near you)

breezer said:
I recall the kid who past his test on his 17th birthday, he had been practising on an airfield. but i dont know if he owned the car, why not ask the dvla?

but then again when retored, guess who will want to test it? (unless you have an airfield near you)

AFAIK, most docs are privatly owned, so you can drive in there

He doesn't want to drive it but I thought his name would have to be on the V5 log book to own it. I will try asking the DVLA.

Sponsored Links
yes he can own it, nothing to legally stop him.

masona said:
Thanks, you've saved me 5p ;)

By the time you had got through to the right department in the DVLA it woud have cost you £5!

It used to be (maybe still is) a good dodge to get round parking tickets - transfer ownership of the car (and therefore ultimate responsibility for paying same) to someone too young to be prosecuted for non-payment of parking tickets...

ban-all-sheds said:
It used to be (maybe still is) a good dodge to get round parking tickets - transfer ownership of the car (and therefore ultimate responsibility for paying same) to someone too young to be prosecuted for non-payment of parking tickets...
In the real world don't we have to tell them who parked the car illegally at the time, the same goes as speeding ticket?

I just has a letter from the police regarding who was driving my car because my wife jumped the red light. :eek:

BTW, my 16 yrs old son just has the V5 log book with his name on it owning the Mini. Hmmm, I might borrow it :LOL:

masona said:
In the real world don't we have to tell them who parked the car illegally at the time, the same goes as speeding ticket?
Just say you don't know.

ban-all-sheds said:
masona said:
Just say you don't know.

If you tell them you dont know, then the registered keeper of the car will be liable.

Quick Fit

If you tell them you dont know, then the registered keeper of the car will be liable.
That may not be correct, If you say there were 3 people sharing driving & parking & you dont know who was responsible. I think there may have be a case do with this.

Sponsored Links
Back