Can you paint a ceramic fireplace?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone!

My wife and I will move into my grandmother's old house in February. It's a lovely 1950s era semi, but needs a bit of work done. We plan to do the painting and decorating for ourselves to save a bit of money, but there's one thing I am unsure about.

In two of the rooms there are lovely old fireplaces surrounded by cream and brown ceramic tiles. At a time these were fashionable, and I reckon that when the house was built in the 1950s they were top style! But now they just look dated. I don't want to rip the fireplaces out, so I would like to try painting them instead, is it possible to paint ceramic tiles? In terms of heat resistance, we probably WON'T be lighting any fires - at least not in the bedroom fireplace, but if we did, I assume we'd need heat-resistant paint, right?

Sponsored Links
Hi,
Most DIY stores sell paints for ceramic tiles for bathrooms etc but they will not be heat resistant/fireproof I'm afraid.

I've used tile paints in bathrooms and they do tend to be a temp solution even if you take great care to prepare the surface and apply the paint it does tend to give up after a couple of years.

Mind you thats mainly due to high damp levels and temprature changes you get in bathrooms so a tiled surround that is not to be used for fires might last quite well.

Regards,
footprints

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back