Can you please help me wire up this light fitting?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, trying to help my dad, he's removed a light fitting and unsure how to wire up new one.

Existing wires, a block with 2 black connectors, a block with 2 red connectors and earth wire. The new light fitting has only 2 wires brown and blue.

Please see attached pic. Actually hope I've uploaded the pics to the album ok.

Can someone please advise as how this new one should be connected?

Many thanks!

Sponsored Links
Are there 2 lights in that room ?

How was the old one wired?

How you powered it up, as it is pictured? It is blowing the fuse/mcb ?

You could try connecting brown to the red
and blue to black.

It may work, it may not.

Thanks Andy for reply and fixing my picture!

To be honest I don't know how the old fitting was wired. My dad's moving house and wanted to take this fitting with him. The new one must be different otherwise he'd have wired it back up like-for-like.

It's the only light in a fairly small room, only one switch.

Thanks for replying, appreciated!

Sponsored Links
If its blowing the fuse/mcb as it is pictured then its not correct.

THe usual way is for the reds to be connected together (as they are)

And for one black wire to be connected to the lamp wire (brown)
and the other black wire to be connected to the lamp wire (blue)

Are there any terminals in that ceiling fitting? I can't tell from the picture?

Does the house have any mystery electrical issues, like one light only working if another is switched on too?

Makes you wonder what value an inspection report has, if someone then goes and removes all the lights potentially messing up the wiring!

Leave the two reds connected to each other and to nothing else.

Connect the blue from the lamp to one of the blacks.

Connect the brown from the lamp to the other black.

It doesn't matter which way round ( see note below )

Reason

One cable with red and black and earth is the supply from fuse box with Live and Neutral, the other is the cable to the switch with Live ( to switch ) and Switched Live ( from the switch ).

The Live ( red ) from the supply has to go only to the Live ( red ) to the switch. The switch connects Live to Switched Live when ON.

The Neutral ( black ) from the supply goes to the Neutral ( blue ) of the lamp.

The Switched Live from the switch ( which is black ) goes to the Live ( brown ) of the lamp.

note If the lamps are screw in as opposed to bayonet lamps then it is preferrable to have the Live connected to the centre contact and the Neutral connected to the screw thread part of the lamp holder.

If the lamps are screw in as opposed to bayonet lamps then it is preferrable to have the Live connected to the centre contact and the Neutral connected to the screw thread part of the lamp holder.
Preferable, or essential? :!:

Anyway, it's likely bernard is correct, so you will need an additional connector.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back