Can you put concrete slabs in concrete base?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Can you put concrete slabs into a concrete base?

I plan to put in a 5m by 3m summer house and an 8ft by 6ft shed in next year. I have loads of slabs from old patio and paths.

I have kept hold of them in case they can be recycled in this way, but my local council are about to start charging £4 per slab taken to the tip. This is the last weekend I can get rid of them for free.

Should I keep them? I assume if I can use them, it will actually save me money, as I'd need less concrete mix when creating the base?

I assume I can only use one layer of them, or could I even get away with two layers (i.e. one slab on top of the other?)

In addition to having square and rectangular slabs, I also have some hexagonal ones. I assume they will be more hassle than they are worth for this use?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Sponsored Links
In general you need to have a good mix of sizes of aggregate to avoid having any voids that could collapse or gradually fill with whatever's underneath when it gets wet and sink. However for a shed you're not holding up a 3 storey house.

Break the up and throw them in. As long as your concrete remains at least 75-100mm thick.

Otherwise pour your concrete low and you the flags as your finished surface.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back