Can you put silicone sealant over silicone sealant???

Discussion in 'Decorating and Painting' started by z3usx, 12 Aug 2007.

1. z3usx

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi

I just painted my bathroom ceiling but used masking tape across the area where the tiles in the shower meet the ceiling (which has silicone sealant along it).

Now there is a small gap where the ceiling paint meets the silicone sealant and i'm worried that moisture will get up in there and cause the paint to peel.

Would it be ok to apply sealant over the already laid sealant (which is in good condition), so that there is no gaps between the paint and the sealant (but rather the sealant over the paint)?

Thanks

2. roughcaster

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi z3usx,
    Why not use your paint brush,and carefully cut in along the tiles and silicone to take away the small gap you refer to. It is not good to put silicone onto silicone.

Regards:Roughcaster.

3. z3usx

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    effectively then i would be painting over the silicone as the gap is so tiny and so is the silicon bead. The reason i asked is that on other peoples showers, i ahve seen theat the silicone looks like it was applied after the paint.

4. roughcaster

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    If the gap as you say is that tiny,and you could get silicone into it rather than over the the existing silicone,then it would probably be ok.Emulsion doesn't stick to silicone either.Try the silicone.

Regards:Roughcaster.

5. z3usx

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi

If emulsion does not stick to sealant, then i think i might just paint closer to it with a really fine brush.

Also, is it possible to put sealant on grout at the end of the tile run?

thanks

6. spice

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    To get over the emulsion sticking to the silicone, you can undercoat the silicone first using oilbase U/C, when dry, then you can emulsion.