Can you replace the "panel" inside a PVC door?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi just moved into a property and the PVC front door has been eaten by the previous tenants St Bernard :rolleyes:

Rather than replacing the whole door is it possible just to change the panel? If so roughly how much would this cost?

The current door is rosewood(?) PVC and has a glass window. Not bothered about replacing it like for like and don't need a letter box (not even bothered about having a window) etc. Just looking for a replacement the cheapest way possible.

Forgive me if I sound like an absolute novice (I am).

Thanks in advance for any words of wisdom anyone can offer. Lucy :D

Sponsored Links
Should be fine, in rosewood will be probably close to £180 depending on the panel, you will also need to get the panel thickness, easy way is to remove the letterbox and measure it

Should be fine, in rosewood will be probably close to £180 depending on the panel, you will also need to get the panel thickness, easy way is to remove the letterbox and measure it

It's not rosewood it's oak.....right thickness is 28mm. How do i find out height & width? I.e i can only measure what i can see....how much is "hidden"?

About 12 to 15mm each side, or measure where the beads come away for the frame and deduct 10mm, you'll find your somewhere near to where you would be if you added 15mm to the size you can see

Sponsored Links
So i need a upvc door panel in ok measuring 645x1840x28 does that sound about right?? I don't need a letter box or anything fancy. Going to ring around tomorrow and get some prices.

Sizes are there or there abouts, just double check them though - the height might be a bit tall, every door is of course different but always seem to be around 1795 to 1805

They are only plastic sheets with foam inside, if you order a little too large just plain it down a little until it fits - then a bit more for expansion.

pop the beads off and measure the existing panel for ordering, saves messing about because you have to take the same off each side to keep it central if its too big. it costs no more to get it cut to size. light oak panels are from around £120 upwards supply only, depends on the panel though

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back