Can you use a RCD as a Isolater in the c/u

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have noticed my C/U does not have a D/P isolator in the board and everything is covered by the RCD which is being used as a isolator. I know the dangers of this if somebody was to get shocked and turn out all the lights. leaving us in darkness in a time where we need light the most. But is the board actually done wrong. do I have to have a split load board?? also could these lead to nuisance tripping? look forward to hearing your advice :)

Sponsored Links
Yes is is suitable for use as your main isolator.

The current setup you have, as you appear to know does not comply with BS7671 (the wiring regulations). It is a bad design, and as you say a single fault could plunge you into darkness, and if it will not reset, you are left with no power at all.

A dual split board is not the best design, but just meets the requirements of BS7671, and also is less likely to give you trouble with nusiance trips than your current board is.

...but just because your install does not comply with the current regulations doesn't mean you have to change it.
You can of course though if it bothers you.

...but just because your install does not comply with the current regulations doesn't mean you have to change it.
You can of course though if it bothers you.

But it will probably not have complied with the regulations at the time it was installed.

The reg re single point of failure is not a recent addition ;)

Sponsored Links
This question has been asked by some one else and I repeat.
The question is does it regularly trip. If not then it complies. The book does not say you must have two RCD's and most caravans and boats only have a single RCD.

What it says is "(iv) reduce the possibility of unwanted tripping of RCDs due to excessive protective conductor currents produced by equipment in normal operation." and unless it trips on regular basis it passes this requirement.

Yes it also says "(i) avoid hazards and minimize inconvenience in the event of a fault.
(iii) take account of danger that may arise from the failure of a single circuit such as a lighting circuit."

But having a single suppliers fuse would also cause dangers if it was to blow so where lighting is a problem it should be battery backed rather than using two RCD's.
As to minimize inconvenience in the event of a fault. If we follow to letter then even two RCD's would not be enough we would need RCBO's on all circuits.
Unlike new installations where we don't have a clue what items the occupier may use so no idea as to if it will likely trip with this house you have a history so "By enquiry" you can easy find if it complies.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back