Can you use artex straight on plasterboard for paint base

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, we have a delapidated cottage in France which a previous owner has lined all the inner walls with plasterboard for insulation. The plasterboard is currently wallpapered (which looks awful). I wondered if it is possible to strip off the wallpaper and use artex with a roller to give a suitable base for painting. Being an old cottage, it wouldn't be a problem if the effect had a rustic look to it. I am happy to have a go at most things but would really appreiciate a little guidance on this one. It isn't practical to remove the plasterboard because when the cottage had electricity installed, the wiring was run between the original walls and the plasterboard. Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Perfectly feasible to strip the paper however, finished result depends on whether the walls were sealed or emulsioned prior to painting - if not it is very easy to damage the face of the boards, pulling strips of facing paper off the boards. Any damaged areas can be filled (I use Gyproc Easifil - brilliant stuff) and sanded to get a smooth finish. I would try a test patch in a secluded corner to see what you're dealing with.

Why Artex? Looks naff, like you're trying to hide damaged walls (the woodchip syndrome), you can get some really nasty abrasions just brushing up against it (also Artex has a very long cure time before you can emulsion) and if you change your mind at a later date is very difficult to remove and would probably mean replacing the plasterboard

Re electrics - this is a pretty standard way of running cables and provided the boards are screwed to studs rather than dot & dab, would be very straightforward to replace (and get rid of your Artex!).

Hi, thanks for your reply. The walls are not currently artexed, just papered. I am only thinking of artex as an easy way of plastering over the plasterboard as I assume you cannot paint straight onto it. As this is the first time I have tackled a job like this, I am not sure what the right product is to use on the plasterboard. Also, as it can be applied using a roller, it means I don't need to be an expert. I was looking for a reasonably smooth finish, maybe grainy, something that looks like the original stone walls would have done. I have peeled off some of the paper and it doesn't look like anything was applied prior to papering, so I will probably have a fair bit of preparation to do. Thanks for recommending the filler.

No problem, you can emulsion straight onto plasterboard. Just ensure that after stripping all the old paste is washed off. Fill and sand then give it a mist coat - emulsion diluted approx 3 parts paint to 2 parts water, this will seal the plasterboard. Then give it 2 coats of full strength emulsion and jobs a good 'un.

Don't know how hot it is where you are, but worth diluting the finish coats by about 10%, if your emulsion dries too quickly as you are applying it you can end up with roller marks wher the previous strip is settling as you apply the next one. Doesn't thin the paint, just gives you a consistent wet edge to work to.

If you're looking for slightly textured finish, try a medium to long pile roller, should produce a finish thats not too flat but enough texture to break up the surface.

Paint supplies - don't know what its like in France, but had a nightmare in a job in Spain. If you are driving over, get your paint in UK (not knocking French paint, just you know what you're dealing with). When you've got the colour you want (I'm thinking Cotswold stone/soft greys) go to a Trade Centre - Dulux or Leyland and get your colour mixed on a Trade Base - far superior application and durability (also cheaper) don't get cheapos from FADs etc or retail Dulux off the shelves (3-4+ coats rather than 2 with a trade), any of the thousands of colours they have can be mixed on a Trade base.

We'll have to come over and see the finished result!

Sponsored Links
When you say it looks awful are you talking wall paper or plasterboard?

If you are talking wall paper only, the wall may have been dry lined which is common in europe and getting more common in UK; see for e.g.: -

http://www.teachmediy.co.uk/NetsiteCMS/pageid/12/Dry lining a wall/Dry lining a wall.html

These wall are intended for decoration without plastering. If this is the case agree with 54aardvark on all counts. You should be able to get a good finish.

If plaster boarding is rubbish, uneven badly jointed etc. then you have a different problem. As 54aardvark I don't like the artex; once its on, its on for life and the real way to smooth the wall back out is too scim with plaster. Yes it might look rustic but as well as having sharp edges it collects dust and is a nightmare to keep clean. Also remember it will not cover all sins significant defects in the plaster board will probably still show. If you want a really rustic look, are prepared to live with it for a long long time, and don't mind the dusting, you could try (finishing) plaster, just "throw" it on and make pattern with what ever you fancy stick, comb, rag, trowel whatever - you can get deep patterns if you want, that way hide rubbish underneath (you will have seen old walls done in same way). Once did a cottage using this and it looked quite effective, - but try on a bit of plasterboard first.

Thanks for the reply. Great advice. Sounds like thats the best route to follow. I'll let you know how I get on. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back