Cannon Westminster Gas Cooker - Oven probs??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My parents have a seven year Cannon Westminster Gas Cooker that recently has been failing to reach and keep the oven temperature constant during cooking. Is it worth getting someone in to look at or am I better to get them a new one. They are elderly and as I live over 200 miles away from them I cannot pop round to solve this problem :cry:

Any help would be greatfully received??

Thanks

Sponsored Links
It could be one of a variety of faults,the most common and most expensive being the thermostat.Nobody is really going to know what the fault is untill it has been inspected.
In general I`d say it was worth repairing,any decent new cooker will be in the £300 to £400plus range plus fitting(£60-£80)and as your parents are elderly they may take a while to get used to a new appliance(I know my mother does).
Get in touch with Gas Safe Register,they will have a list of engineers in your parents area who are qualified to work on cookers.Get an engineer to call and check it out and give a quote for repairing(any parts will probably have to be ordered).

Thank you for coming back to me so quickly. :)

I notices that Comet do a repair service for £125 which includes call out and parts up to £150 - If it is the most expensive as you say would this figure cover the cost?? Any views on this option??

I know my parents can ill afford a new cooker having just replaced the fridge so repair is a better option for them and yes you are right in that new appliances bring new learning skills!!!

Once again thanks you for responding so quickly

£125 would probably be a bargain,IF it was the thermostat,but it could be something much simpler and cheaper.
Then again almost any engineer is going to charge an initial fee of anywhere between £35 and £65 just to come around and check it,then order a part if one is needed £?,then come around and fit part£35 to £65.

So,yes it probably does look like good value,especially if it puts your parents and your own mind at ease.

Sponsored Links
£125 would probably be a bargain,IF it was the thermostat,but it could be something much simpler and cheaper.
Then again almost any engineer is going to charge an initial fee of anywhere between £35 and £65 just to come around and check it,then order a part if one is needed £?,then come around and fit part£35 to £65.

So,yes it probably does look like good value,especially if it puts your parents and your own mind at ease.
I dont know about your experiences with engineers but I dont know any that would charge 2 call outs, I certainly wouldnt, £65 + parts even if it takes 2 or 3 visits, 90% will be fixed on the first visit though.

My parents have a seven year Cannon Westminster Gas Cooker that recently has been failing to reach and keep the oven temperature constant during cooking. Is it worth getting someone in to look at or am I better to get them a new one. They are elderly and as I live over 200 miles away from them I cannot pop round to solve this problem :cry:

Any help would be greatfully received??

Thanks

Obviously just a guess without seeing the cooker, I would guess that the doors not sealing properly due to the age of the cooker, stat failure nearly always results in burning everything. Get your dad to tear a strip of newspaper 3" wide and tweve inches long try trapping it between the oven carcase and close the oven door on it the seal should gently grip the newspaper and offer a slight resistance to been pulled out. try this all around the door where the seal is (some ovens have a gap in the seal at the bottom so dont try it there !) see the result of this test before you call out an engineer.

Wouldnt you agree wsts ?

Just to say thanks you for all posts received

I have looked on the Gas Safety Register and found lots of engineers local to my parents so will ring a few to get an idea of call out charge first.

I will also try to explain paper trick to check oven seal although not convinced my Dad will fully understand what he is doing - bless he is 82!! But thank you all the same for this suggestion :)

I will post how I get on

Thanks for all your time :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back