Cannot identify inset gas fire - need coals position

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone identify my gas fire from the picture. British Gas came out and serviced it and did a safety check. Then because the engineer had removed the coals and couldn't remember how to put them back, he said it is not safe and won't certify it. He also said he can't identify it so can't find it in his database. It was in the house when we bought it 6 years ago and I think it is a Baxi 750 with 14 coals.
I am amazed at Britsih Gas's attitude and have told them so in an email but it would be nice to know if anyone else has any idea as to which fire it is.
The photo will be sent to them as well as it might help them to come back and put the coals in the right order. Common sense would have told the engineer to note the position as he took them off as had been done by previous non BG engineer.

//www.diynot.com/network/kilrail/albums/

Sponsored Links
Certainly looks like a Baxi 750 (just do a google search for Baxi 750 images and it'll find images)

British Gas are absolutely useless anyway. They employ salesmen (as opposed to gas engineers) Personally I'd escalate your complaint against them. They are the ones responsible for the situation with your gas fire.
Baxi themselves may be able to help you with a manual for coals placement though. ;) ;)

Sponsored Links
Can anyone identify my gas fire from the picture. British Gas came out and serviced it and did a safety check. Then because the engineer had removed the coals and couldn't remember how to put them back, he said it is not safe and won't certify it. He also said he can't identify it so can't find it in his database. It was in the house when we bought it 6 years ago and I think it is a Baxi 750 with 14 coals.
I am amazed at Britsih Gas's attitude and have told them so in an email but it would be nice to know if anyone else has any idea as to which fire it is.
The photo will be sent to them as well as it might help them to come back and put the coals in the right order. Common sense would have told the engineer to note the position as he took them off as had been done by previous non BG engineer.
Try sliding out the bottom where you access the ignition.
Have a look to see if you can see a marking , which says GC ( stands for Gas Council) ,possibly on the ignition box, have a good look with a torch.
It will say GC then be followed by some numbers, in a sequence like xx-xxx-xx.
if you have the GC no, you can easily obtain instructions,spares etc.

The BG engineer should have already done this, but it does happen sometimes that you can't find the GC number. Being ex - BG myself, i would keep complaining. The engineer made the mistake,it's up to them to put it right. If you have the engineer's name, say you want to speak to his manager etc, don't let them fob you off.

good luck

//www.diynot.com/network/kilrail/albums/[/QUOTE]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back