Cannot lock my new front door without a key

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Is this right :?: :?:

I have just had a new Composite door supplied and installed by an independent Carpenter. Although he gave me a receipt, I was not given a guarantee. However, the door/lock he supplied can only be locked with the key - both from inside and outside. I don't mind locking with the key from outside, however this means when in, I need to lock myself into my house using the key, and then remove the key, so others can also enter. I think this is a Fire safety issue...and it takes me forever to locate the key and answer the door :(

Everybody else I know can just lift the handle upwards when inside, however my handle lifts upwards from outside too. I really don't think this can be right. If not, can anyone advise on how to remedy this.

Help please!!!! :?:

Sponsored Links
Sounds just like my door, you need to a key to lock and unlock inside and out and lift the handle to deadlock from inside or outside. You just keep your keys within easy access of the door but inaccessible to letterbox thieves if you're worried about that kinda thing. What's so complicated about that? Maybe instil some discipline in your life and leave the keys somewhere sensible?

To easy just to shut the door & forget to lock it, especially if you have multiple people using the door.
Get the lock changed, I specifically asked for a lock that needed a key from outside, but not inside.
In N America, they have have that type of lock with a turn key on the inside which is deactivated from the outside.

Ask your carpenter if he minds asking the supplier to give him a split spindle type mechanism and lever/pad handles instead of the lever/lever ones you probably have now

With this set up it means no one can follow you through the door once you've closed it on the latch (like a yale lock), no need to lift the handle up and lock with a key as the outer handle doesn't operate the latch

Sponsored Links
Lets not forget you need a key / key lock for insurance purposes.
Or someone breaks in at the back and walks out the front.
So maybe an additional lock is needed.

Lets not forget you need a key / key lock for insurance purposes.
Or someone breaks in at the back and walks out the front.
So maybe an additional lock is needed.

But wouldn't this be the case for all Yale locks? I have recently been burgled, hence the changing of the door - as I had an old wooden door, which made life far too easy for the burgulars.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back