Cannot pull pipes far enough apart for solvent weld fitting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys

I've got 3 existing solvent weld pipes (2", 2", 1.5") coming from an upstairs bathroom, through a cemented hole in the wall and dropping down into a 4" horizontal (slight slope of course) that runs along the top of a corridor, then drops outside. The smaller pipes join the 4" with strap on solvent weld bosses.
Two of the bosses are leaking (either not enough cement? or maybe Wickes brand?), so I've pulled them off and am replacing with more robust looking ones from a proper plumbers merchant. The downpipes have been cut when I removed the old bosses.

Problem I've got is that all three downpipes, and the 4" pipe are all quite rigid as a complete assembly and there's hardly any movement, so I can't just pull each pipe back in turn and put new fittings to re-make the connection. There's not an inch or so of play in the pipes. What I'd like to do is assemble the whole lot together, but everything needs to go together at the same time, and the cure period of the glue won't allow that!

I was thinking of preparing two pipes to almost join end to end, then splitting a 2" joiner lengthwise and putting it over the join. Problem is if I do this the pipes are not entirely lined up straight, so I see further issues.

Does anyone have an idea, maybe if there's slow-cure glue available? or possibly some way of joining without needing to have so much play in the pipes?

Thanks so much! (got people coming to stay over Xmas and wife insists this bathroom must be usable!!!).

Dave

Sponsored Links
A coupler might slide on if you sand it well and sand the pipe well clean. And chamfer one end with a file.
Then slide it on, chamfer last, apply solvent, then slide it back. Job done.
Make sure the solvent is fresh.
ABS piping and solvent welding is an art in itself.

Compression fittings will usually fit solvent weld, certainly much easier to work with than the "got 30 seconds to get this right!" solvent stuff.

As above. You take a coupling; file away the stop ring inside and then use it as a 'slip' coupling... it slides fully onto one pipe and then align pipes and slide coupling back until the centre of it covers the gap in the two meeting pipes!

Sponsored Links
Hi guys

I was thinking of preparing two pipes to almost join end to end, then splitting a 2" joiner lengthwise and putting it over the join. Problem is if I do this the pipes are not entirely lined up straight, so I see further issues.

Does anyone have an idea, maybe if there's slow-cure glue available? or possibly some way of joining without needing to have so much play in the pipes?

Thanks so much! (got people coming to stay over Xmas and wife insists this bathroom must be usable!!!).

Dave
Are the new bosses ones with rubber inserts ? You want that type - look @ the insert and you'll see a stop formed in the rubber so the pipe doesn't go through the boss - cut that off and lube the inside of the rubber with silicone grease - you now have the ability to push the waste pipe right in and pull it up into the solvent weld connector without struggling in any way against the voracity of solvent glue ;)

Thanks so much for the replies chaps!

The compression fitting sounds like the easiest way out, I was just concerned about the rush of water and sudden high pressure (e.g. emptying bath) might blast through the rubber seals as I've normally only used these on sink wastes. Bath is about 3ft higher than where the bosses join the 4" pipe, so quite a head of water. No harm in trying though, and I'll have a root around in my garage in a moment and see if I've got any compression joiners in my fittings hoard.....

Thanks also Nige, the bosses are entirely solvent weld (even the reducer inserts) but that also sounds like a good option to bear in mind if the compression fitting doesn't work for me.

Will give it all a go later this afternoon. Thanks again all!!!

I see, I don't like those fully solvented bosses even for straightforward connections. You can of course assemble everything dry and check out the comp. fitting idea. Then go for the glue !

Are the new bosses ones with rubber inserts ? You want that type - look @ the insert and you'll see a stop formed in the rubber so the pipe doesn't go through the boss - cut that off and lube the inside of the rubber with silicone grease - you now have the ability to push the waste pipe right in and pull it up into the solvent weld connector without struggling in any way against the voracity of solvent glue ;)

The best solution !!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back