Can't put PIR sensor into manual override

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,
I've connected a PIR sensor to the lights in the garage. It's working fine on montion but I can't get it into manual overide, which makes me think it's not wired correctly.

I've run 3 core and earth from the rose fitting to the PIR as follows:

1) Earth in rose to earth in PIR
2) Neutral in rose to neutral in PIR
3) Switched lived from rose to Live in PIR
4) Load side of lamp in rose to L1 in PIR

I susspect 3) is where I'm going wrong?? Effectively the switch and PIR are in series. i.e. with switch in the on position it provides the live to PIR.
Is this right? I can't see any other way to do it.

TIA

Sponsored Links
What happens when you switch the switch. on, off, on in less than 3 seconds?

Instructions say to switch off/on, off/on within 2 seconds.

When I do that, it just stays in motion detection mode. ie. lights come on as I walk in and then switch off after a few seconds (unless I keep moving around).

Here's a diagram of how I've wired it up.
Would you guys agree that this is correct?

GALLERY]

Sponsored Links
As long as you haven't reversed L - L1 - then yes.

I wonder if Bernard knows how the override mechanism works?

The diagram is incorrect.

Have you erased a wire by mistake?

Were there not instructions included.

Yes, I have modified the drawing to reflect what I've done. Basically, I removed the switched live that went to the lamp load and connected this (via screw connector block) to the Live in on the PIR.

Then the L1 out of the PIR to the lamp load back in the rose. So effectively the switch and PIR are in series.

Instructions are included and this is how I've interpreted them. Clearly incorrectly.
Am I supposed to take the live from the loop in the rose?

Oh yes, my mistake. I thought you were adding a pir/light to existing circuit.

It should work.

So its wired correctly?
The instructions simply say to run 3 core and earth to earth, neutral, live and live load.
But its not very clear. To me it suggests connecting loop from rose to L in pir and then live load in rose to L1 in pir.
But this would mean the switch and pir would be in parallel. So if switch is on, light would be on regardless of motion detection.

I haven't actually tried this but it can't be right can it?

This is something so simple but really got me baffled.

I've tested when its dark but no joy.

How does flicking power off and on actually trigger manual mode anyway? The act of flicking to off position momentarily removes the live so how could that action cause an internal timer to start?

It's the opposite.

Normally.

When the light has been off for a few minutes,
switch on, the light stays on for the set time and then goes to automatic mode.

When in auto mode
quickly flicking off/on off/on is supposed to disable the timer and the light stays on.

I have just thought (you said seconds) have you still got the pir in test mode?
i.e. lux and time controls at minimum.

It won't stay on permanently in these positions.

If so, set both controls to half way - but then you will have to go through the above procedure.

I've moved the timed dial just off minimum and the dusk/dawn dial to about half way so it shouldn't be in walk test mode anymore.

I'm still concerned about how I've wired it. Shouldn't there be a permanent live to the pir?

I'm still concerned about how I've wired it. Shouldn't there be a permanent live to the pir?

No, you need the switch to enable the pulse mode over-ride.

However, you could rewire it so that there is a permanent live and the switched live is connected to L1 on the PIR.

Then you operate the switch to turn the light on to over-ride. When the switch is off its in auto mode. But it should work as you have wired it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back