car battery dud or not?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Couple of questions really. My car battery charges up to normal voltage but over a period of a week or so, it drops to about 12.3, is that normal?
Originally I thought there was a parasitic current draw that was discharging the battery and when I tested it with doors closed, it read .30amps for about 30 secs, then dropped to .02. So I imagine that once the battery is connected there is some current draw for maybe electronics, then it goes to minimum.

Sponsored Links
mine has a slight drain from the immobiliser and alarm package, it also has a clock and the ICE and other settings in the on-board computer are maintained by the battery. With a good battery, it takes about a month to six weeks to lose enough to be an unreliable starter. Seems to be longer in summer. I do have a 100AH battery, though.

12.4v is considered to be "charged" when open circuit (disconnected from any load) so you need a pretty accurate meter if yours is marginally below.

The important measurement to check is a voltage drop when cranking the engine....not much below 11v is what you are looking for.
A motor factor can put a heavy discharge meter across the battery which may reinforce any measurements you take.
A reduction to 12.3 volts shouldn't be any big deal here, I think.
John :)

I haven't checked the volts on cranking or running, so I'll do that next. It's an old Scudo, so very little electronics that could be a drain and as I said, on checking amps from neg terminal to ground, initially it draws .3amps, but then you can hear some relays click and it drops to .01 or .02.

Sponsored Links
That will be the immobiliser system if the clicks are within a minute or so of stopping the engine.
A 2mA drain is easily coped within your battery - that leakage is likely to be through the rectifier inside the alternator and its within tolerance.
John :)

Back