Car overheating since using rad weld

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I had a leak in my rad of my mk3 golf which isoon fixed with some rad weld. Since then I had to refill the coolent obviously and this was near on empty. I filled it up with only water as I wanted to ensure I had fixed it before putting any coolent in the system. Since then it's reaching 110 degrees which is a lot more than before. I've checked both the upper and lower pipes on th rad and they are both hot, also the heater works fine. Is this simply that the system has only water in and once coolent is added it will be ok or am I slightly to optimistic?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
If the pipes were not both hot I would have said thermostat but sounds more like a clogged radiator or faulty temperature sensor.

Peter

The rad weld must have partially blocked something (radiator cores), double check that the electric fan will come on when stationary/in traffic.

Keep a good eye on the temperature gauge

The rad weld must have partially blocked something (radiator cores), double check that the electric fan will come on when stationary/in traffic.

Keep a good eye on the temperature gauge
Thank guys,
How can I go about fixing it. Should I try flushing the rad? I take it that having no coolent in system and only water should still be ok then?

Sponsored Links
If its done a high mileage it probably needs a replacement radiator, you can try flushing it but I haven't had much success doing that. If the radiator feels hot all over with a high reading and the fan operating it almost certainly is the cause of the problem.

I wouldn't run it for to long without proper coolant, water will cool it OK but doesn't protect against corrosion which can be quite rapid in modern cars.

Peter

If its done a high mileage it probably needs a replacement radiator, you can try flushing it but I haven't had much success doing that. If the radiator feels hot all over with a high reading and the fan operating it almost certainly is the cause of the problem.

I wouldn't run it for to long without proper coolant, water will cool it OK but doesn't protect against corrosion which can be quite rapid in modern cars.

Peter

It's done just over 100,000 miles so yes it's high. Im planning on selling it ASAP so didn't want the expense of a new rad. I will try the flushing 1st and go from there.
I presume the rad should be relatively cold when upto temperature?

If I may butt in?
If you feel the radiator core with the palm of your hand, it shoud feel cool to the touch, but the moment the thermostat opens there will be a surge of heat - and the cooling fan should cut in soon after 100 deg.
The radiator will remain hot for as long as the engine is running - the thermostat isn't likely to close again in the summer (sic)
John :)

Certainly :D My point was that if its hot all over the thermostat is wide open so that rad isn't dissipating enough heat.

Peter

Don't go putting in a flush if you have/had leaks, it will only make things worse.
If you're on a budget try a breaker for a rad. If you are a gambling man, leave it as it is, and drop a bit of antifreeze in.

Just keep an eye on the temperature gauge and ensure the electric fan (out on the radiator) cuts in.

If the temp keeps rising with the electric fan running, "Houston we have a problem" otherwise chill out.... ;)

No point stressing if you are sending the car down the road, life is to short

Put a new rad in it.

It will only break down when your miles away from home or the wife's in the car.

That's when you would of wished you had changed the rad.

Andy

Sponsored Links
Back