carbon brush ,renewall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
help please/ after putting new carbon brushes into A HOTPOINT WASHING MACHINE , what is the correct way to release them with the metal tab on the side ?.
i have fitted a few in my time [ diy ] family @ friends, never any bother.
but fitted some on my sons machine other day, machine went ok/ did full wash./
then first 1 brush went back into holder and stuck there [ while on machine ] i changed that 1 ,............... then the other 1 did same thing/ ...........after changing that 1 as well, .with one from my machine which was nearly new/ and was working ok/. that done same thing./
the motor worked great when it did work/. doesnt smell , no bits missing where the brushes go, looks clean ./ and so on.
any help or ideas, would be gratefull for. regards. r.r.

Sponsored Links
Bend the little tab that releases the carbons till it's pointing up. You'll know if it's right by pressing the carbon back into the holder, it should pop out again.
Remember, power off before working on the appliance

Some people release them before fitting them to the motor, just to be sure they release. If you do that you have to use a screwdriver or little finger to keep the carbon pushed in until the holder is partially slid into the motor, otherwise the carbon will snap off. :)

i was always told to release it before putting it in, i never had a problem, and i did it for a living

Sponsored Links
first, thanks for all answers, dont know what i was hoping for really.
that is the way i have allways fitted them by releasing after slotting them in, unless it was a spare set allready been released to get someone out of trouble.
to start at the begining/ the machine is a hotpoint wm52 [ my lads ] and about 5yr old, allways worked ok/ but then last week when he tried to use it , it would trip the circuit in fuse box.
enter me/ i looked at brushes first and they were seized in there holders.
so i put new ones in/ [ motor looked ok ,and no smell of overheating etc ] but it wouldnt work / done the trip again ?.i checked door switch etc/
we then changed motor over with my spare wm 52 and put the new brushes in that , and away it went . :D
seems it was the motor /this then done a wash or 2 and then stopped/ :(
the rest you know ./ brushes seizing etc/.
ANY advice ,most welcome.
ps, we decided to take my spare and fit that back with its own motor :D after all that did work ok. :) cheers .r.r.[/b]

there have been problems for the last year with genuine hotpoint carbons overheating. i.e. the plastic holders were made of a less heat resistent plastic. however if you have tried different types of hotpoint carbons then you should check this.
it is well known in the trade that a partially blocked pump filter will cause the motor to run hot in the final distribute phase of the cycle. due to excessive load. check the filter and it's likely that there wil be a blockage.

thanks for the imfo about the carbon brushes k.washerman/.
that is what it appears to have happened on the 2 sets i fitted that had gone back into there housing and stuck there with about quarter of an inch showing, but also MELTED the plastick at the tip of them./ thus stopping them moving. THE ones i fitted were the ones in black housing ./
the ones i first took out were also in black casing and had been in since machine were new and also done the overheating part and got stuck, and that could be as you said filter/pump/ needs attention, also that motor wouldnt work at all even with new brushes, it had had it.

anyway we swapped his machine with my spare and also put new white housing brushes in the motor , and it seems ok. :D
i now have my sons outside :( and will out there checking the filter/pump/ first thing in morning, [ well when it gets a bit warmer ] :) thanks to all for your answers. r.r. :)

All WM models were fitted with white (laminated) brushes when new. Hotpoint only recommend you use the black ones on the earlier 9500 series machines etc but I use them on all the 800 and 1000 spin machines because I don't trust the laminated type.

thanks k,washerman for your answer AND ./ your vote of confidence in the laminated brushes./ :) son says its still working, [ fingers crossed MINE. ] :D just have to wait and see i guess.
as for the motor that was in since new [ 5 yrs ] which did same thing to the brushes, and i changed it with a spare / i done a continuity test on it on the pins where plug goes into it and the second one from right was giving a reading to earth ? not being an expert on these things / i assume that it means the motor has had it./ also why it was tripping the power off. regards. r.r.

thanks for your reply .fido, seems the brushes must have been renewed at some point . also no one in the trade seems to have much faith in the white laminated ones, :( .
what chance us mere novices
:( .anyway its got laminated in now and if me son phones up IM OUT ./ :D cheers to all for replys. r.r.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back