carbon monoxide alarm position

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
could someone explain to me why these alarms are positioned at 1.5 metres ?

will it not kill kids / animals before the alarm goes off

thanks

Sponsored Links
Err - no, cos CO will rise to the ceiling with the hot flue gasses that are escaping from the appliance.

As Giblets has said CO will rise, I have three in my home, one in the utilityroom ceiling mounted above boiler, another in the hallway again ceiling mounted and a third on the landing between rooms yet again ceiling mounted.
I dont have a gas fire in my home i would rather burn cash to keep warm.
Five burner gas hob as i like cooking and room sealed boiler out of main house.

Happy to hear your using them, wish everyone did as you :D :D

;)

Sponsored Links
CO is approx 3% lighter than air, so will rise.
by the time it has reached the ceiling you would be dead.
1.5m is considered the optimum level for detection.

one of our gas engineers got called to a job on monday, CO alarm going off, Transco had shut boiler off, he visited, fully checked boiler all ok so changed alarm, got a call on tuesday saying new alarm going off but only once per minute, guy calls back and sure enough he can hear a peep every minute, assuming new alarm is faulty he changes it, but can still hear a peep so he takes both alarms outside into fresh air, no peep from either so thinks mmmmhhh could be low level CO or something, so he goes back in with FGA to check boiler again, and can STILL hear peep, turns out tenant had put smoke alarm in kitchen drawer because it was making a peep but didn't think to tell my guy about it, DOH

One of mates had that years ago , customer was adamant did not have a smoke alarm " i am not that stupid i dont know i have one of those" was her words . After turning electric off to house and disconnecting alarm there it was in box under the stairs beeping away.
Poor girl we ripped her every time we seen her out.

Favourite for setting CO detectors off is the cooker also steam will do it, transco hate them

had a recent recall notice on sf350's that are faulty, if anyone wants the batch serial number i will get it from work email and post it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back