Carbon Monoxide Detectors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Can you tell me what the current position with regards to carbon monoxide detectors in rented property.

1) Is it mandatory that detectors are fitted.
2) If it is mandatory do they have to be installed in the same room as the gas appliance.

Thanks,
Tony.

Sponsored Links
No, it is not mandatory at the moment, but watch this space!

Larger letting agencies have them as their best practice

You need to make sure they are ones with an audible alarm, the black spot ones are not much use when you are asleep.

billy bob said:
You need to make sure they are ones with an audible alarm, the black spot ones are not much use when you are asleep.

Bes are selling blackspot ones called.

"Sleepeasy" :eek: :eek: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
I rented out a flat recently and was advised by the local authority that I would have to fit one of these in order to get a certificate. I ended up getting the type which looks pretty much identical to a smoke alarm and has a lcd reading on the front indicating the level of CO in the air (not required I believe, but handy) and was told that it had to be installed 2-3m from the nearest gas appliance. I'm in Scotland though, so maybe the rules are different?

Hope that helps

Not mandatory in England for l/lord cert but advisable. Do not bother with black spot. Only around £20/30 for decent battery one. Fit in same room as appliance usually on ceiling above sette or the like. All come with specific installation siting instructions.

gas4you said:
Not mandatory in England for l/lord cert but advisable. Do not bother with black spot. Only around £20/30 for decent battery one. Fit in same room as appliance usually on ceiling above sette or the like. All come with specific installation siting instructions.

Ceilings not the best place, they should be on the wall away from any vents or draughts.

Fit about 1.6-1.8m from the floor I think, check with the BO and manufacturers instructions

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back