Carpet Gripper and Underlay

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ayone offer some advice/instruction for fixing gripper and underlay to stairs?

1) I understand the gripper goes on the tread and riser, with roughly 1/4 inch gap. Does it also go along the edge of the stair, just as you do the edge of a room?

2) Can i glue underlay to the concrete floor of my lounge and then gaffer tape the seams? Or is there a preferred method of fixing underlay to concrete?

3)I have perused the forum for the answer to this, but cant find it: Is Cloud 9 Cirrus a suitable underlay for domestic use, stairs etc.? I am aware Cumulus is a better underlay, but cant afford that. Will Cirrus do?

All help appreciated..

Thanks, Tom

Sponsored Links
The gap left between the 2 gripper rods when fitted should be about 3quarters the thickness of the carpet when bent double. Yes you can glue to concrete with spray adhesive or double sided tape ( ends only ) and yes tape joins. As for cirrus underlay, this is the best one! cumulus is to thick and soft! The carpet will try to lift off grippers as underlay sits higher. Also a bit to soft , resulting in extra wear of carpet.

Excellent, thanks mattysupra.

One more thing...!

The gripper on the stairs goes acroos each tread and riser, does it need to go 'up' the riser and 'along' the tread, close to the wall edge and also the edge of the stairs?

Sorry for being dense, and thanks again for your help.

Tom

Sponsored Links
Reading this thread and I was interested to find out more about what Mattysupra wrote on Cloud 9 Cumulus:

“Also a bit to soft, resulting in extra wear of carpet.”

Does carpet wear out more on a soft underlay rather than a firmer one, if so why; is it down to pressure, friction or something else?

Cheers.

The carpet stretchs more as there is more movement of the carpet. resulting in it losing its tension which results in extra wear. Any contract underlay is firm. Cloud 9 also do a contract underlay for heavy wear area which is more dense and thinner.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back