cascade system query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
At work we have a 3 boiler system, providing the whole buildings' hot water and heat requirements. Each boiler is an ATAG 60kw, so i believe, operating on a "cascade" system. There is a large white cylinder with an immersion in the bottom, piped into the boiler pipework with a valve and stat. The hot water from the cylinder is pumped around the shop with branches taken off to the hot taps. There are two pumps sidebyside on the main feed to the heaters. Though I believe only one of them is in use - thats what the control panel says. All 3 boilers display "GOOD" on the front.

There is a temp gauge on one of the pipes, reading 55 degrees. Not sure if this is feed or return. But I'm sure my heating at home gets much hotter than this, and its a 20 yr old 11kw solo!

The problem is that the shop just isnt hot enough, and the water never gets hot enough just lately (cold weather).

The sales area of the shop is heated with fan coil units in the ceiling, which look like air con units. Sabania. There are 6 of these, controlled by two controllers. They are set at 21 degrees, but the temperature in the store rarely gets above 15 degrees lately. The sales area is 10,000sqft. There is an air curtain over the front door, also on the boilers. On the sales area, there is approximately 45 metres of open front refrigeration, linked to a compressor pack, so they dont produce any heat, just cold air.

The warehouse has a single fan blower (nowhere near big enough, IMO), and an air curtain which only operates when the back door is open. Again, the place is never hot enough. Warehouse is probably 5000sqft, the ceiling is between 15 and 18ft high.

A recent addition (november) to the system is 4 radiators in the offices (the offices ARE lovely and toasty!). But the rest of the system was installed in February this year, so the boilers and blowers are all new.

Does this system sound correctly sized to you? Because its doing a **** job at heating our shop.

*Out of interest, Previously there was a central air system ducted from a heat recovery unit, linked to the refrigeration. I'd love to meet the madman that decided this was a bad thing! Because for a start it did a cracking job of heating the shop, and it was certainly cheaper to run, using a byproduct of the vast refrigeration system!

Any comments welcome. Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Complain to you area manager about your heating woos and get the installers back to sort out the problems, the setpoints on the control panel may be wrong, could be all kinds of problems . The only way to get these problems sorted is to complain.

For Fan Convectors and Door Curtains to poserate efficiently the flow temperature should be at least 70'C as been said get the service company to have a look! ;)

*Out of interest, Previously there was a central air system ducted from a heat recovery unit, linked to the refrigeration. I'd love to meet the madman that decided this was a bad thing! Because for a start it did a cracking job of heating the shop, and it was certainly cheaper to run, using a byproduct of the vast refrigeration system!

The heat recovery systems integrated with space heating will perform better recovering heat from cold rooms and closed door deep freeze units.
The vast refrigeration effect in modern supermarkets can create a micro climate which the HR heating system has to fight against.

If the refrigeration HR system was decommissioned there must have been good reason.
Perhaps a central AHU with boiler and HR coil was decommissioned in favour of the individual ceiling mounted units.
Either way if it did work better before something is amiss.
The recent cold snap though would test any heating system.

Sponsored Links
Yes before, there were two old boilers in the plant room, linked to the same pipework - they reused the large bore stuff to supply the smaller bore to the new air units.

The old boilers were connected to the two door heaters and a central air unit. That is all. Its a shame because the central air unit had an outlet in every part of the shop - now the toilets are freezing - there is no heat there. All in all, its a poor do. But this company is almost famous for bodging things. All the old equipment is still in place, but its just decomissioned. I dont know why. It happened during a refit in august 09 where they added a refrigerated display island. This was piped into the existing compressor packs. We have 4 coldrooms, two are on the central packs and two are on their own compressors with pipework to an air blower outside (a waste in winter!).

Thanks for your input anyway guys. I might see if they can do anything with the system - maybe turn up the water temperature? Though 55 degrees might be right if its the return?

The HR system may have been outdated.
The decommissioned central AHU may have had twin heating coils. One for the boiler/s and the other for the HR.

An idle AHU with a single coil would be an ideal canditate for an up to date modern heat recovery system.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back