Casings for Door Lining

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

We have had door linings put up and we have bought our 7 doors. 5 doors are one size 1981 x 762 x 35 and 2 doors are 1981 x 686 x 35.

The actual door linings vary slightly between 135 and 150mm.

What size casings would I have to buy? Is the size of the casing determined by the door size or the lining size? Does it matter what size the width of the door lining is?

Many thanks
Terri

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
762mm is the old 2ft 6in and 686mm is the old 2ft 3in standard. 1981mm is the equivalent of 6ft 6in, again a standard pre-metric door width. What I think you need to do is to get yourself 7 no. 6ft 6in x 2ft 3in/2ft 6in lining kits. These are an ex-stock item from any timber yard in various depths. They have housings (grooves) machined in the heads for 2ft 3in on one side and 2ft 6in on the other side so you can make them up to the appropriate width for the doors. They come as sets of one reversible head, two jambs and three pieces of stop lath. In terms of depth buy the nearest casing size you can get to above the actual depth you require (e.g. if your supplier offers 125 and 150mm and your wall is 131mm then you'll need the wider one) - remembering that walls are often not plumb but that door casings must be. Rip down to the appropriate width before assembling and give a quick one or two strokes to clean up the sawn edge with a sharp plane. The size is always determined by the door size and if the door is a non standard size I'll simply recut the housings to suit with a tenon saw and a chisel.

Hi

The linings are already in place. They are all flush - no grooves.

I need to know what casings to buy.

If I understand you, it sounds like you don't need any further casing, you just need to hang the doors on the door lining and add door stops?*

*AFAIK the terms 'lining' and 'casing' mean the same thing.

Sponsored Links
I always took door lining to mean flat timber with door stops nailed on while casings are linings with the stops built in [usually for external doors].

Depends on where abouts you are in the country. In the area I work in the terms casing and lining are fairly interchangeable but "rebated" is always specified and if not planted stops are assumed. Both generally require architraves to be applied. Exterior doors are always hung in a rebated door frame which generally don't have architraves applied

To the OP - any chance of a photo to see exactly what you are talking about? I think.you may have a misunderstanding of the terminology

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back