Cast Iron Pipe

Discussion in 'Plumbing and Central Heating' started by DannyM, 27 Aug 2006.

This topic originated from the How to page called Installing a washing machine.

1. DannyM

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I have an older house with Cast Iron plumbing, and I would like to move my washing machine out of the basement to the upstairs... Can someone tell me, what is made to hook plastic into Cast Iron, and how do I cut the Cast Iron..

Thanks in advace...

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Hello, DannyM, please be aware that this is a UK site and, as mentioned below, our methods and materials are not the same as yours. You will probably do better talking to people nearer home.

Mod Rupert

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

2. bab

bab

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    If the stack is 4" you can use a strap boss made for 110mm Upvc pipe. It will need silicone sealant instead of solvent cement. The biggest job is drilling the hole. I use a 59mm Starret hole saw that cuts fine on a low speed. A good batery drill is the easiest but it will need an 1/2" chuck.

3. ChrisR

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    If Danny is really in the US, methods will be different. I know because I spent time over the stock in a plumbers merchant while having a day off from skiing in Colorado. (Seemed such a shame to waste the whole time sliding downhill ;) )

All the plastic bosses I've noticed on CI pipes have leaked eventually - including the ones I tried!