Cast iron radiators, rebuild/ repair/ assembly etc

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to reduce the length of a cast iron radiator. I have not tried this before, has anyone else had a go and succeded, and how do I do it?

Sponsored Links
only 1 ive ever seen take the plugs out of the tappings (not east) you should see the bolt head of the drawbar that holds it all together

its a pig of a job BTW ;)

Hmmm.......... maybe I'm a bit over enthusiastic.

the sections are usually secured together with L/H & R/H nipples.

cut through off/centre (just missing the "good section") with a

9" angle grinder top & bottom of the size required,

remove remaining half nipples ( some heat may be required)

retrieve airvent/plug & valve from discarded end section & refit.

good luck :cry:

Sponsored Links
NOOOOOO!

Check VERY CAREFULLY what type of CI rad you have! There are at least the 'drawbar type' and the one I've dealt with myself.

With it empty, try to unscrew one of the end-caps. If it comes off and there's NOTHING behind it except a hole, you've PROBABLY got the type where EACH SEGMENT is locked onto the next with a special 'internal nut'. You need a special tool (a very thick steel bar with a shaped 'key' at one end and a tommy-bar at the other) which is pushed in through the end of the rad up to the section to be undone, the key engaged with the special nut and turned, and hey presto! the rad comes apart. In this case you definitely DO NOT need an angle grinder! You will also need the special (paper!) gaskets which form the seal between the segments.

I think you can rent the tool and buy gaskets from the rad supplier.

oilman is reducing the length of his radiator so there is no need for
paper gaskets or "special tools"

taken that the radiator sections are joined with nipples and it has been installed for many years the jointing nipples will be reluctant to move
even with the "hey presto" approach.

the quickest and easiest way is to cut through the nipples then remove
the remaining half nipple with a small piece of flat bar and stillsons
i have done this with success.

Yes - but if he'd started by laying about him with an angle grinder and it was the 'other' type of CI rad - he'd have cut through the rod holding it all together!

And why destroy a perfectly good segment? Guy might even want to make up another smaller rad later....

croydoncorgi

if you read my first post where to cut with grinder, "hey presto" the rod
would still be too long and still need cutting down further.

and you dont just lay in about with such a delicate tool as the grinder
a bit of prestige and precision is all thats required.

and as for destroying a perfectly good section, i dont think there's
a lot of demand for single section cast rads, maybe an eskimo...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back