Cast Iron soil pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a leak coming from the saddle boss taking the PVC plumbing into a cast iron soil pipe. What is the best material to use to seal it from the outside - it looks like there is silicone there currently and some has peeled away.

Thanks, Ash.

Sponsored Links
Either more silicone, denso tape (filthy stuff but might work), or ditch the current boss for a 'Timesaver' boss (or other mechanical type that uses a rubber gasket to make the joint). Plastic to cast. sealed with silicone is never going to be entirely successful.... :confused:

If it was me, given the job conditions, rather than using silicone that needs a really clean, dry surface to take well, I would use a highly flexible, high grab, wet adhesive sealant, like wet grab or similar to give the best chance of minimising failure from movement and giving the best grab. Alternatively a permanently wet mastic, say something butyl based, basically it doesn't ever fully harden, stays slightly wet under the thick skin it creates.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back