Cattery. Can someone with pets suggest.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Maybe the wrong forum to ask this. Dont know😟

I love my 2 cats to bits.Would like to travel so looking for a cattery. I have had some suggestions but the ones I went to had dogs there,who looked as if they were begging to get out.

The people there also looked like they were pretending to do the job.

Btw for all the cat haters both my cats are indoor,well mannered and never go out for hunt. They have a run of 100ft garden everyday only in my presence.

Any suggestions around London for a 30 mile radius.

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
I would just find a few and then visit them, or ask anyone you know with cats who they use. I think you can tell pretty quickly if the staff care or not. Generally, over the years, I have found that the better ones get booked up very early and anyone who can take your cat before Easter at a weeks’ notice for example will be a bit rubbish and that does seem to be reflected in the staff attitude and care they take (or appear to). I have boarded mine in Cattery’s who deal with cats only and ones that do both.

There is variance with how they charge with the fees though (eg pay for an entire additional day if pickup is beyond 9am or charging double for bank holidays for example) so that needs to be taken into consideration too.

Sponsored Links
Freddy thanks. Problem is most catteries I have visited are in it for money. They promise that they will feed your cat good food but give them junk. Who is to know?

Some cheeky ones even take food off you,and then distribute it among all others to keep their profit margin high.

All i want is somewhere,where they get their food on time and get looked after. Not asking too much if I am paying for it.

We once took our cat to a cattery. He was absolutely miserable and, on top of that, came home with fleas.

Never again.

Now, either the mother-in-law comes to stay to look after him, or we use a very good 'cat sitter'. She visits either once or twice a day (by arrangement) and not only feeds the cat, but makes a fuss of him, opens/closes curtains, switches on/off lights, etc.

Obviously, she's local to us, but I'm sure there must be similar services darn sarf!

I would recommend that you get a sitter rather than take them to a cattery, most of the kennels and catteries are out of date anyway, insisting your pet is up to date with its yearly inoculations when the World Small Animal Veterinary Associations guide lines are no sooner than three years but once done they reckon it is possible the pet is covered for life.

As above, if you can get a reliable sitter, then this will always be the best option for your cat.

Failing that, ask your vet for recommendations. The vets and staff who work there will usually be clued up about the places to use - and the ones to avoid.

Thanks for the suggestions Guys. Only one problem to everyone suggesting pet sitter.

Very few people here in london trust their neighbours,let alone a stranger. Problem is you try to break off from the crowd and give your full trust to the person,and the same person breaks your trust.

What I am trying to say is how do you trust a total stranger and hand over your house keys. Ok up North due to community spirit and all but down here?? 😔😔

Google pet sitters and then see if they have a good reputation. SIMPLES

...err..If you don't know your neighbours well enough, then perhaps they are not the best people to ask to look after your cat. If they don't know you well enough, they probably wouldn't want the responsibility to do it either.

A cattery is probably the best option. Personal recommendation is usually the best way of finding a good one, or as previously mentioned ask at the local vets. I have taken my cats to several different ones over the years, none have been awful, but some are much better than others.

Usually you can get a good idea of the place by giving them a call on the premise of asking for price and availability details. You can then ask them some questions about the accommodation, heating provision, what happens in the event of illness etc. Tell them you have never have to leave 'fluffy' in a cattery before and you are a bit apprehensive. If they cant be bothered to answer a few questions, then move on to the next one. You will easily work out of the person taking the call is a cat lover, or just a business person. I suppose you could even just 'drop in as you were passing' to make an enquiry, most places would be happy to show you the accommodation.

I think we're talking at cross purposes here, I'm not suggesting that you ask a neighbour but get a professional sitter!!

Sponsored Links
Back